How is no one else having this problem with HDR??? (Volume Adjustment)

Vapour1ze

Same thing here.  Love my volume wheel... and playing in windowed mode comes with it's own problems...I just have to use the remote for my receiver for volume control if it's an HDR game.

Come one Microsoft!  Please either allow disabling the volume osd (but then you wouldn't have the cool Spotify overlay either) OR - MAKE IT HDR COMPATIBLE! Ugh...

Btw if you download the HideVolumeOSD app from Venturi.de (it's on wordpress) it just hides the pop up but the windows still turns hdr on and off even though you can't see it.  I was so bummed because I thought with HideVolumeOSD and the 3RVX app which allows you to have a volume OSD on a secondary monitor would do the trick...again no dice.  You either get standard OSD on the main monitor and a skinable volume OSD on the secondary (3RVX only) or you get an invisible OSD on the main monitor with the HDR issues stil present (HVOSD only) or a combination of the two. 

• 3 weeks later...

same issue here, anyone having any luck fixing it?

Yup still broken.. I've been trying to find out what's doing this.. Icue or whatever.. using a corsair k95 RGB keyboard and Kanto Tuk speakers, any time I adjust the volume in a full screen game.. it flashes black. not just that.. tried overwatch earlier it actually drops framerate to unplayable levels (which it's perfectly fine until that OSD volume button shown in the video posted above.. same one. I have to completely exit the game.. Alt tabbing out of the window leaves me with an unresponsive flickering mess (even task manager is un-usable) only thing I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL and select logoff or restart then go ahead.. pray to god I don't have to change the volume in game for any reason or I'm completely borked.. using a PG27UQ Asus monitor on an Nvidia graphics card with corsair k95 keyboard and dark se mouse .. iCUE installed (starting to hate these RGB bloatware buggy programs aswell.. For the price they charge for this junk you would figure it would be seamless by now.. it's not. (the asus rgb suite is even worse)

Anyhow I'm not sure what's causing this aside from windows 10, any chances it's a crappy implementation of the OSD overlay while using HDR? I'm looking for any fix I can find, even if I can find a way to remove the OSD so the games are playable again I would prefer. but as far as I know there isn't a way.

Video posted earlier on youtube has a work around posted, ensure your running the 64bit version of any game executable, right click on the file, compatibility options, disable full screen optimization

We shouldn't have to be working around this. but might stop you from trying to break your nice hdr monitor

On 3/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, Vapour1ze said:

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

I know this is an old post and you probably have figured out your problem by now but I had almost the same problem. Instead of the volume switching the HDR on and off it was my mouse buttons. Whenever I used my mouse to move my character in WoW it would happen. To figure out how to fix it for my game I turned DirectX 12 off and used DirectX 11 instead and it fixed my problem.

Now the plot thickens at my end.
I have just found one thing that changes it for me.
toggling the monitor from Ultimate engine on the freesync option to Standard Engine solves the issue.
My set up is

i7 8700k
windows 10 pro

RTX 2080 ti
Samsung C49RG90 49" QLED Curved Ultra Wide Dual QHD Gaming Monitor
16gb g skill trident z

Does anyone else have this work?

~
*****EDIT*******
This hasn't worked. IGNORE.

It did change things in BFV to crazy colour and back again.
However in Red Dead its exactly the same.

• 3 weeks later...

this only happens to me on overwatch and world of warcraft. I play WoW on window full and OW on fullscreen.
8700k 2080ti LG C9 65".
Halp

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, Blitz Hacker said:

Yup still broken.. I've been trying to find out what's doing this.. Icue or whatever.. using a corsair k95 RGB keyboard and Kanto Tuk speakers, any time I adjust the volume in a full screen game.. it flashes black. not just that.. tried overwatch earlier it actually drops framerate to unplayable levels (which it's perfectly fine until that OSD volume button shown in the video posted above.. same one. I have to completely exit the game.. Alt tabbing out of the window leaves me with an unresponsive flickering mess (even task manager is un-usable) only thing I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL and select logoff or restart then go ahead.. pray to god I don't have to change the volume in game for any reason or I'm completely borked.. using a PG27UQ Asus monitor on an Nvidia graphics card with corsair k95 keyboard and dark se mouse .. iCUE installed (starting to hate these RGB bloatware buggy programs aswell.. For the price they charge for this junk you would figure it would be seamless by now.. it's not. (the asus rgb suite is even worse)

Anyhow I'm not sure what's causing this aside from windows 10, any chances it's a crappy implementation of the OSD overlay while using HDR? I'm looking for any fix I can find, even if I can find a way to remove the OSD so the games are playable again I would prefer. but as far as I know there isn't a way.

i am experiencing this as well, altho, i dont think its the mouse or keyboard or software they use, its just windows poor hdr implementation, here is why im sure about it, so whenever other overlay appears, whether its windows volume overlay, ubisoft overlay that let me know my friend is online, same as origin overlay, and even discord overlay, as long as an overlay pops up infront of hdr game, seems like windows just considering it as sdr content therefore flash black screen to sdr then flash back when the overlay is gone, no color distortion on my monitor tho, just any overlay appears, im pretty sure its windows poor hdr implementation causing this, still looking for fix

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 7:59 AM, Vapour1ze said:

Ok - I caved, I bought an HDR display. Quick background. Yes I've rebooted, reinstalled gfx drivers, tried turning off freesync, on freesync, changing hz, matching hz, disabling the overlay, etc etc, etc.... 

The problem is, ever since adding an HDR monitor, while in-game, if I adjust volume, the screen will flash black, show the overlay, once the overlay for the volume is gone, the screen flashes black again. What it is doing is actually turning HDR OFF and ON each time. 

Now - Windows 10 , it's running in HDR, it's enabled in color settings in windows, it's enabled in nvidia control panel, brah brah brah... Now - here's the kicker, it doesn't even matter if it's an HDR game or SDR game, adjusting the volume in game will make any game flash black, until the over lay shows, and then disappears and then flashes again. My buddy (has an HDR screen different brand / model, same problem)  

For anyone who cares, it's an lg-34GK950F-B, and paired with a 2080ti,... After hours of google-foo I can't find similar issues, only relating to a "logitech keyboard problem" but I'm not using a logitech keyboard. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Sure, if I don't adjust volume it's fine and HDR works great when it's supposed to, and stays off when it's supposed to, but, I change my volume. A lot. 

If anyone has had a similar expierience it would be much appreciated. A video would probably be beneficial so maybe I'll try to post something up tonight. 

Cheers

The solve the ctrl problem, disable the “find my cursor” feature in windows. This is found in the mouse settings. Pointer options to be exact. The volume scroll, I’m not sure how to fix that yet.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, Blitz Hacker said:

Created an account to give you this solution to fix " unresponsive flickering mess " (I am a Long time watcher of LTT though)

This is a problem caused by NVIDIA.

Enter at Start "Services.msc"
Find "NVIDIA Display Container LS"
Stop the service and go to propperties and set Startup type to "Manual".

You wont be able to access NVIDIA control panel annymore (Start the service again if you need to access it again)
I dont know what the impact is on Geforce experience since i dont have that installed.

IMPORTANT: THIS DOES NOT FIX THE 1-2 SECONDS BLACK SCREEN when e.g. changing volume.

I am wondering, does anybody know if AMD Video card users also have this problem?
Only read so far that NVIDIA users have this.

Hi,

I made an account specific for this topic to try to find a solution for the same problem to hook in.

Asides from the flicker upon adjusting the volume, i don't have a HDR screen. Just a plain SDR Iiyama B2888UHSU 60Hz 4K monitor but with the same problem.

Other forums suggested to install some older Nvidia drivers and that works to some degree but the flicker is only when de volume popup goes away.

Some say it has to do with the G510 keyboards (owned) and apparently an Logitech overlay but the windows popup is not an overlay from the G510 so that shouldn't be an issue. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Getting rid of the overlay triggered the same problem only with no visible volume popup.

I'm running dual 1080ti's. Saw someone using a RTX2080ti with the same prob but it's not specific to the 20 series i guess.

What i have noticing is that i have it only in Division 1 and 2. Division 1 runs fullscreen @DX11 and Division 2 runs borderless @DX12. Other games runs just fine.

Still is a questionmark to me. When i have more info on this i will post back to u guys.

*added info:

It has something to do with the windows DPI scaling but can't figure out exactly wich settings to be set.

When i edit the DPI properties of the game.exe to ignore and set by system or system extended the game is either smaller on display or stretched times 4 but then the flicker is away. So it has to be the DPI behaviour in Windows that screwes it up when adjusting volume. Anybody can confirm?

*additional info:

Deinstalled the Nvidia drivers and let Windows 10 install them. Windows driver version 26.21.14.3200. problem solved. Also no SLI.

Also: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/287121/screen-flickers-when-adjusting-volume-on-tv-remote-control-nvidia-1060-3gb/

When opening a Teamviewer link from my mobile to my desktop the problem is not there. Volume slider works fine. Upon exiting Teamviewer connection the problem persists.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, jeweettoch13 said:

Deinstalled the Nvidia drivers and let Windows 10 install them. Windows driver version 26.21.14.3200. problem solved. Also no SLI.

Guys, could anyone confirm this? I could not test it myself because on a short trip atm. Tnx!

17 hours ago, Shatohin said:

Guys, could anyone confirm this? I could not test it myself because on a short trip atm. Tnx!

I've narrowed it down to the Nvidia controlpanel from the Windows store.

Also started a topic on the Nvidia website for more details

Found the Culprit!

I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers in safemode with DDU and checked the option to prevent windows driver installations and reinstalled version 419.17 where the Nvidia controlpanel is still in the driverpackage. All works flawless now. I will try to do the same with the newest version to see if all of the installation on top of eachother messed things up in the timeline. Still did always a clean install. Made a backup just in case.

*added info:

Drivers are working fine now. As long if you uninstall the old drivers in safemode with DDU so that everything is removed and install the newer ones also in safemode, but displaydriver only and dirty install, you should be fine.

1 hour ago, jeweettoch13 said:

Found the Culprit!

I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers in safemode with DDU and checked the option to prevent windows driver installations and reinstalled version 419.17 where the Nvidia controlpanel is still in the driverpackage. All works flawless now. I will try to do the same with the newest version to see if all of the installation on top of eachother messed things up in the timeline. Still did always a clean install. Made a backup just in case.

*added info:

Drivers are working fine now. As long if you uninstall the old drivers in safemode with DDU so that everything is removed and install the newer ones also in safemode, but displaydriver only and dirty install, you should be fine.

I am sorry, friend. Just did all that you recommended, in safe mode with DDU uninstalled all drivers, and in safe mode installed the latest driver. Same behavior.

HDR switches off if any notifications shows up - volume or anything else makes screen flicker for several seconds.

I have a 5700xt and mine does this too. I hate it but it only lasts a few seconds. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

8 hours ago, Shatohin said:

I am sorry, friend. Just did all that you recommended, in safe mode with DDU uninstalled all drivers, and in safe mode installed the latest driver. Same behavior.

HDR switches off if any notifications shows up - volume or anything else makes screen flicker for several seconds.

What you also could try to do is changing the PCIE lanespeed settings from auto to 3.0, and lanes from auto to X16 in bios settings.

Make sure when u install the older 419.17 through DDU that the Nvidia controlpanel from MS store is no longer installed anymore.

Which version of Windows ur on? it should work imho. I mean, the flicker wasn't always there from the beginning was it?

- Also turn off all app notifications trough settings.

- Try to run 419.17 first and see what it does.

D***, It's back again. But now i know wat causes it. The only question is why.

It starts when enabling the second GPU in controlpanel. When SLI is disabled no problems at all.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, Vapour1ze said:

Ah! Found a exact replication of the issue here: 

This is the exact issue i'm having. U run 2 gpus i presume?

I nailed it! Ok heres the situation..

Nvidia controlpanel reports the displaysettings as 60Hz, but windows reports the display settings as 59Hz. While your ingame 60Hz fullscreen runs fine you call up the volume slider where windows switch back to 59Hz.

Solution: setup a custom profile in Nvidia controlpanel to 61Hz. Windows again sees this and reports 61Hz and voila, everything works as intended. I am still baffeled how simple this solution is and why windows reports not 60 but 59Hz.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:30 AM, jeweettoch13 said:

I nailed it! Ok heres the situation..

Nvidia controlpanel reports the displaysettings as 60Hz, but windows reports the display settings as 59Hz. While your ingame 60Hz fullscreen runs fine you call up the volume slider where windows switch back to 59Hz.

Solution: setup a custom profile in Nvidia controlpanel to 61Hz. Windows again sees this and reports 61Hz and voila, everything works as intended. I am still baffeled how simple this solution is and why windows reports not 60 but 59Hz.

tested, does not work, my screen support 200hz so i created a custom resolution with 199hz refresh rate, both windows and nvidia control panel report 199hz, tested in game, still having flashes but shorter, in the past, when i change volume once, screen flashes, show the volume bar, fade out and flash back, after using custom resolution with 199, if i change volume, the volume bar wont show up if i only change it once, flash, half second and then flash back to game, unless i change volume repeatedly then i can see volume bar

10 hours ago, FATE1027 said:

tested, does not work, my screen support 200hz so i created a custom resolution with 199hz refresh rate, both windows and nvidia control panel report 199hz, tested in game, still having flashes but shorter, in the past, when i change volume once, screen flashes, show the volume bar, fade out and flash back, after using custom resolution with 199, if i change volume, the volume bar wont show up if i only change it once, flash, half second and then flash back to game, unless i change volume repeatedly then i can see volume bar

Hmm, strange. What you also could try is, if you use it, select RGB 8bit in stead of YCbCr 10Bit. Because i select above 60Hz, my gpu put it back to this setting. I think for bandwith availability.

I know it's crooked to say with a 200Hz display, but try a 61Hz profile to narrow the problem.

Windows 10 in HDR mode is pretty terrible.. not sure ow they could get it so right on the xbox and then mess it up on Windows 10.
maybe we will see an update to HDR support at some point but at the moment its pretty clunky.. 

Got my new monitor yesterday. (PG43UQ) HDR mode works pretty well in games without the flicker btw. I'd set HDR mode in Windows off, and let the game decide. When selecting HDR the screen sets itself to HDR modus and works as intended. Also windows reporting 1Hz less, i don't have issues anymore at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

Mine computer does the same thing.