AKG K712 Pro, a casuals thoughts

food158

I recently bought the k712's for $260, shipping included. I'd say that is a pretty good price, considering it is new.

Coming from the ATH-M50X's, wow. These are phenomenal.

The build quality feels unsturdy, however. Lots of plastic and moving parts in unnecessary places. Comfort isn't too bad; they do feel big on me. There is no way I'll be headbanging because they will fall off.

And for sound...

No, they are not totally neutral. Highs are more prominent. Instruments like the violin feel more vibrant, but I haven't heard them be sibiliant.

Mids are a star here and stringed instruments come to life in a way I have never heard before. I also like female vocals, which are a touch unrealistically smooth, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Now, the bass is more recessed than m50x's, but I like the bass on these more. They are tight and much more tight. Sub bass is not really that present.

Compared the m50x, everything sounds richer, more like... Instruments.

Running these off my iPhone at the moment, they don't need an amp.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

I think now you know why the ATH-M50X is overrated, compared to a good pair of audiophile cans (be them open or closed back), the M50X just sound wrong. Narrow soundstage, a little too much of bass boost (don't get me wrong, I like bass, but the M50X sounded a tad loose to me) and muddied mids. With the K712 Pro, welcome to the world of great audio! Regrettably, I have only one AKG in my collection of headphones, would love to have more but I couldn't find others in the price range I'm willing to pay.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, food158 said:

I recently bought the k712's for $260, shipping included. I'd say that is a pretty good price, considering it is new.

Coming from the ATH-M50X's, wow. These are phenomenal.

The build quality feels unsturdy, however. Lots of plastic and moving parts in unnecessary places. Comfort isn't too bad; they do feel big on me. There is no way I'll be headbanging because they will fall off.

And for sound...

No, they are not totally neutral. Highs are more prominent. Instruments like the violin feel more vibrant, but I haven't heard them be sibiliant.

Mids are a star here and stringed instruments come to life in a way I have never heard before. I also like female vocals, which are a touch unrealistically smooth, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Now, the bass is more recessed than m50x's, but I like the bass on these more. They are tight and much more tight. Sub bass is not really that present.

Compared the m50x, everything sounds richer, more like... Instruments.

Running these off my iPhone at the moment, they don't need an amp.

honestly a lot of the m50x's compretitors are better than the m50x's sound wise all the massdrop exclusive headphones kill them and even headphones like the one more tridents or dt 770 and 990 and 880

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

I think now you know why the ATH-M50X is overrated, compared to a good pair of audiophile cans (be them open or closed back), the M50X just sound wrong. Narrow soundstage, a little too much of bass boost (don't get me wrong, I like bass, but the M50X sounded a tad loose to me) and muddied mids. With the K712 Pro, welcome to the world of great audio! Regrettably, I have only one AKG in my collection of headphones, would love to have more but I couldn't find others in the price range I'm willing to pay.

Listening to Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione, it's mind blowing how nuanced headphones can be. I remember somebody saying m50x's were like over ear iems.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

1 hour ago, food158 said:

Listening to Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione, it's mind blowing how nuanced headphones can be. I remember somebody saying m50x's were like over ear iems.

That's why when someone says that the M50X is worth the money, or recommends it, you'd see some of us saying a big 'NAY', although I don't blame these M50X proponents as they're prolly blissfully unaware that there're better sounding cans that cost about the same......or less. Anyway, enjoy that K712 Pro, I certainly enjoy my AKG can...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, GamerDude said:

That's why when someone says that the M50X is worth the money, or recommends it, you'd see some of us saying a big 'NAY', although I don't blame these M50X proponents as they're prolly blissfully unaware that there're better sounding cans that cost about the same......or less. Anyway, enjoy that K712 Pro, I certainly enjoy my AKG can...

no unfortantely they just fell victim to a tech reviewer by the name of MKBHD who led a lot of people to believe that the m50x's are the only option for the price. and because he says it's the best it must be right? without considering his use case

14 hours ago, rice guru said:

no unfortantely they just fell victim to a tech reviewer by the name of MKBHD who led a lot of people to believe that the m50x's are the only option for the price. and because he says it's the best it must be right? without considering his use case

In addition, the video is outdated, but the damage was done. At this point in time, the MSR7 is about the same price the m50x used to be.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3