Question: How to force a program to start in the monitor that it launched from (dual monitors)?

Frogpuppy
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

I'm afraid that'll be difficult.  The PC doesn't really know the difference between a browser and a game, so it'll be hard to tell it to open programs on monitor B when certain other programs are running on monitor A and vice versa.

On my own dual monitor setup almost everything opens in the monitor that I last used it on.  The only exception are some games that force themselves to run on the primary monitor.  You'll get used to dragging it over, after a while it probably won't even bother you anymore because you know what to expect.

I'm on Win7 and use UltraMon to help with monitor managment.  I use it mainly because Win7 only puts a taskbar on the primary monitor but I wanted a properly functioning one on the secondary monitor too. 

Ultramon allows you to put a "move to other monitor" button next to the 3 in the top right corner of any window.  That makes moving a single-click affair.  You can also assign hotkeys to move the active window/program. 

It's not cheap ($40 IIRC), but over the 8 years I've been using it I more than got my money's worth out of it.  You can do a 30 day trial with full functionality, so see if it helps. 

Hi, 

Lately I got a new monitor and now I'm using dual monitors (which is great!)

However I'm having a tiny problem with it. When I open chrome for example, it launches in the main display which I use for games and I have to move it to the second monitor and this is the case with almost every program I launch.

When I'm not gaming, I want every program to run in the primary monitor and when I'm gaming I want every program to be in the second monitor. Is there any way to that?

I'm afraid that'll be difficult.  The PC doesn't really know the difference between a browser and a game, so it'll be hard to tell it to open programs on monitor B when certain other programs are running on monitor A and vice versa.

On my own dual monitor setup almost everything opens in the monitor that I last used it on.  The only exception are some games that force themselves to run on the primary monitor.  You'll get used to dragging it over, after a while it probably won't even bother you anymore because you know what to expect.

I'm on Win7 and use UltraMon to help with monitor managment.  I use it mainly because Win7 only puts a taskbar on the primary monitor but I wanted a properly functioning one on the secondary monitor too. 

Ultramon allows you to put a "move to other monitor" button next to the 3 in the top right corner of any window.  That makes moving a single-click affair.  You can also assign hotkeys to move the active window/program. 

It's not cheap ($40 IIRC), but over the 8 years I've been using it I more than got my money's worth out of it.  You can do a 30 day trial with full functionality, so see if it helps. 

Thank you @Captain Chaos. I'll do some digging about UltraMon and see if it's worth it in my situation or not.