Oculus Rift

renchy_is_sketchy

Im debating between an oculus rift or upgrading my pc... or it would be amazing if i could do both considering that my RX 580 is fine but my E5 1607 v2 is pretty outdated , im not sure if i would even be able to run VR games.

Just to confirm , the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift offer pretty much the same experiences with the same games? Or are there like console exclusives? I would really like to try Minecraft VR , Skyrim VR and Beat Saber.

Im going with the oculus because its from what ive checked about 200€+ cheaper than the Vive.

The RX 580 should be fine with minimal super sampling.

The CPU is a little weak. You can probably play most designed from the ground up for VR titles at normal settings but CPU intensive games might struggle.

Oculus performance is pretty close to a Vive with the only place the Original Vive really wins is large room scale tracking accuracy and accessories like the tracking pucks and wireless solution. The rift is more comfortable out of the box for both the headset and touch controllers.

Oculus is a bit of a walled garden. If you want to play Oculus only games on a vive or other HMD you need a 3rd party app called ReVive which isn't 100% compatible all the time.

There should be a New version of the rift coming soonish but no official release date yet and there are already other HMD with better displays like the Samsung Odessy + but they have their own pros and cons for each of them.

Minecraft has the oculus version or you can play the Java version with Vivecraft mod.

Skyrim might be iffy with your CPU. You'd have to try or ask someone with a similar performing CPU. 

Beat saber runs on just about anything. 

There is the steam VR checker tool you can run and get a report on how VR ready your system is. Might be a good idea before you buy.

4 hours ago, trufret said:

The RX 580 should be fine with minimal super sampling.

The CPU is a little weak. You can probably play most designed from the ground up for VR titles at normal settings but CPU intensive games might struggle.

Oculus performance is pretty close to a Vive with the only place the Original Vive really wins is large room scale tracking accuracy and accessories like the tracking pucks and wireless solution. The rift is more comfortable out of the box for both the headset and touch controllers.

Oculus is a bit of a walled garden. If you want to play Oculus only games on a vive or other HMD you need a 3rd party app called ReVive which isn't 100% compatible all the time.

There should be a New version of the rift coming soonish but no official release date yet and there are already other HMD with better displays like the Samsung Odessy + but they have their own pros and cons for each of them.

Minecraft has the oculus version or you can play the Java version with Vivecraft mod.

Skyrim might be iffy with your CPU. You'd have to try or ask someone with a similar performing CPU. 

Beat saber runs on just about anything. 

There is the steam VR checker tool you can run and get a report on how VR ready your system is. Might be a good idea before you buy.

Thanks you very much! 

About minecraft , the Vivecraft mod is only for the Vive right?

Theres a chance i might get the newer vive considering that im going to get it in summer so thats nice.

Gonna run the steam vr test

Edit : The test was positive!...wait no , that doesnt sound right... My pc is capable of running VR! Thats really good news. Average quality 6.7 (high)

2 hours ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Thanks you very much! 

About minecraft , the Vivecraft mod is only for the Vive right?

Theres a chance i might get the newer vive considering that im going to get it in summer so thats nice.

Gonna run the steam vr test

Edit : The test was positive!...wait no , that doesnt sound right... My pc is capable of running VR! Thats really good news. Average quality 6.7 (high)

The Rift can run all Oculus games natively and All SteamVR games should work as well but sometimes the Dev doesn't map the controller buttons for all Touch, Vive wands, WMR controllers individually so you get some illogical button layouts if it's not 100% supported.  This is pretty rare from any decent dev but it does happen sometimes.

I've played Vivecraft on my rift back in the day and it was fine but haven't used it recently.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, trufret said:

The Rift can run all Oculus games natively and All SteamVR games should work as well but sometimes the Dev doesn't map the controller buttons for all Touch, Vive wands, WMR controllers individually so you get some illogical button layouts if it's not 100% supported.  This is pretty rare from any decent dev but it does happen sometimes.

I've played Vivecraft on my rift back in the day and it was fine but haven't used it recently.

Thank you , and very sorry for the late answer.

I just read on youtube comments , so i dont know about this one ,  that you cant run an oculus rift on a potato motherboard because of usb power.. is this true?

I own an 09M8Y8 dell desktop board , so id consider it pretty potato ;D

Thank you

1 hour ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Thank you , and very sorry for the late answer.

I just read on youtube comments , so i dont know about this one ,  that you cant run an oculus rift on a potato motherboard because of usb power.. is this true?

I own an 09M8Y8 dell desktop board , so id consider it pretty potato ;D

Thank you

You need at least 3 x USB 3.0 ports for a standard Rift setup. 2 x for the cameras and 1 x for the HMD.  if you want to add a 3rd of 4th camera those can be on USB 2.0 and come with 15ft 2.0 extenders.

There was some issues with certain USB controllers not working well with the Rift so they have a list of PCIE USB cards they recommend on their site in that case.

Now A lot of placed are sold out of the Rift so the rumor is the Rift S is very close to release and if it's using inside out tracking may only need 1x USB 3 plus a video port or the VR link port on Nvidia Cards. We'll see when it comes out. Still nothing official from Oculus on it.

13 hours ago, trufret said:

You need at least 3 x USB 3.0 ports for a standard Rift setup. 2 x for the cameras and 1 x for the HMD.  if you want to add a 3rd of 4th camera those can be on USB 2.0 and come with 15ft 2.0 extenders.

There was some issues with certain USB controllers not working well with the Rift so they have a list of PCIE USB cards they recommend on their site in that case.

Now A lot of placed are sold out of the Rift so the rumor is the Rift S is very close to release and if it's using inside out tracking may only need 1x USB 3 plus a video port or the VR link port on Nvidia Cards. We'll see when it comes out. Still nothing official from Oculus on it.

Oh okay so that means im fine , if not im going to get the PCIE USB card.

And yeah , i was just watching the reveal of the Oculus Quest , saw the price , was very excited but its not for PC sadly , then i saw someone mentioning the Rift S and that got my hopes up , im probably going to see the launch price and my hopes are going to go down again. A first wireless VR headset for a beginner would be amazing , but i fear that the price is going to be way over €400+. 

Thank you for the info , once again!