First PC Build, Asus Hero X Qcode 00 Help

First off, I'm new to the PC world. Never owned a desktop before. I just got the last part in to finish my first build. Some are used parts, some are new.

Used:

Asus Hero X wifi MB

Asus Strix 1070 GPU

New:

Intel I5 8600k

Gskill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 3000

XFX XTR 650 PSU(OEMed by Seasonic)

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SATA SSD

Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME M.2*

Asus Ryuo 240 CPU Cooler

3x Thermaltake Riing 12 RGB case fans

Fractal Design Meshify C case

*The MB was missing the M.2 stand off and wifi antenna. So the 250gb NVME in not installed.

So I boot it up for the first time and everything lights up, fans are spinning except the Riing ones. Changed the controller from the fan 3 header to the H_AMP header and everything appears to be working. That's when I noticed the Qcode 00.

I've spent the last 4 hours or so scouring the internet, looking for potential solutions. I was already on the phone with Asus tech support but they just told me vague potential solutions.

I need to go to MicroCenter tomorrow for a few small things. Is there anything I could get, besides a new MB, that could fix the 00 code? I havent flashed the Bios either. I need to get a USB drive while I'm at MC.

I would greatly appreciate any help I could get. It would be easy enough to post pictures if it would help.

Keith

Code 00 is either a problem with the motherboard or the CPU. Try reinstalling the CPU, you will need new thermal paste for it. If that doesn't work you probably have a dead motherboard or CPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Code 00 is either a problem with the motherboard or the CPU. Try reinstalling the CPU, you will need new thermal paste for it. If that doesn't work you probably have a dead motherboard or CPU.

Thanks for the fast response!

I do have a question, all of the RGB on the MB turns on. So I would assume it's a dead CPU?

Is my MB compatible with the new I5?

Any recommendations of CPU paste?

1 minute ago, Yoder1776 said:

I do have a question, all of the RGB on the MB turns on. So I would assume it's a dead CPU?

The RGB is not necessarily the same circuit as the CPU. Z370 is definitely compatible since it was the launch chipset of 8th gen processors. If there's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut at Microcenter that stuff is great, if not anything from Arctic Silver or IC Diamond will do just fine. You might also be able to find a graphite thermal pad and those are pretty neat and are reusable, although they are a negligible amount worse than thermal paste.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 minutes ago, Yoder1776 said:

Make sure that the cpu is installed correctly and that there are no bent pins or swollen/ruptured capacitors. I’ve heard those are comparatively common on used motherboards. Also, you could pick up a pcie to nvme adapter to make use of your m.2 ssd. 

I'm fairly certain there are no messed up pins in the socket. I looked at them when I got the MB, plus there was the black plastic plate on the mounting frame. The one that pops off when you seat the CPU.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning.

Thank you for all of the help!

14 hours ago, Yoder1776 said:

I'm fairly certain there are no messed up pins in the socket. I looked at them when I got the MB, plus there was the black plastic plate on the mounting frame. The one that pops off when you seat the CPU.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning.

Thank you for all of the help!

Did you check the capacitors? They look like little batteries all over the motherboard.