Dual Monitor Setup Not Working

levi_athan1701

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer and I am using a dual screen setup. The new motherboard supports both HDMI and DVI-D output.

Motherboard Description:
ASUS ROG B360 Strix-G Gaming

Monitor Description:
Dell SE2717H (Main display through native HDMI)
LG 22MP48HQ-P (Secondary display through DVI-D to HDMI adapter)

Please note, I already did a BIOS update in order to use my i5-9600K, as it only supports 8th Gen out of the box.

For some reason, I am getting output through the HDMI but not through the DVI. I am using an DVI to HDMI adapter for the second monitor. Please note that I do not have a dedicated GPU yet so both screens are connected via on-board ports. (Still working on getting a GPU at some stage - budget wouldn't allow it at the time) Both screens are fully functional as I have tested them on other PCs. Windows does not detect either screen that is plugged through the adapter. It only detects it through the native HDMI port.

I have tried the following:

1) Swapping the monitors and cables with the native HDMI port and adapter.
2) Enabling on-board multi-display / iGPU through the BIOS (cannot remember exactly what its called).
3) Switching the input on the secondary screen to HDMI.

But unfortunately nothing is working so far.

I have been considering buying a DVI-D male to HDMI male cable in order to bypass the use of an adapter completely, but I would like to try find out if that will actually solve the problem. Also, could it be possible that the DVI port is faulty, even though I've had this build for less than a month?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
leviathan1701

"That is from an obscure language known as French- Mr. Data, the french language for centuries on Earth represented civilisation- But surely sir... - I suggest you drop it Mr. Data" - ST TNG

2 minutes ago, leviathan1701 said:

I have been considering buying a DVI-D male to HDMI male cable in order to bypass the use of an adapter completely, but I would like to try find out if that will actually solve the problem. Also, could it be possible that the DVI port is faulty, even though I've had this build for less than a month?

This is what I would do. We have gone through so many adapter over my 3 years working here. The solution that has worked most effectively is getting a cable with both required ends already terminated. (Just keep in mind that nothing is immune to failing)

I'm pretty sure on integrated graphics you can't run HDMI & DVI at the same time. I will do some research and edit post when I find out.

Edit:

From my understanding you can only use HDMI/VGA or DVI/VGA - Not HDMI/DVI for integrated graphics. Best of luck.

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow

maybe some configuration inside windows control panel , go to project and select duplicate it might work (worked with my laptop on my TV screen)

Tech enthusiast from the land of dept ( Greece ) and casual overclocker. If it has a processor i will overclock it, monitor yes, my car's ecu yes, my brain... yes.

MAIN PC R5 5500 / 32GB RAM / 6900XT
SERVER : i7 2600 / 12GB RAM / 8TB

Just now, Tha Joker said:

I'm pretty sure on integrated graphics you can't run HDMI & DVI at the same time. I will do some research and edit post when I find out.

I used to do it with my previous board, which was the Asrock H110M DVS 3.0, but that one had VGA and DVI.  I guess its possible both won't run at the same as they are both digital outputs... I hadn't actually considered that

"That is from an obscure language known as French- Mr. Data, the french language for centuries on Earth represented civilisation- But surely sir... - I suggest you drop it Mr. Data" - ST TNG

Just now, leviathan1701 said:

I used to do it with my previous board, which was the Asrock H110M DVS 3.0, but that one had VGA and DVI.  I guess its possible both won't run at the same as they are both digital outputs... I hadn't actually considered that

I should edit my post again, VGA/DVI works. VGA/HDMI works. Just not HDMI/DVI

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow

12 minutes ago, NinJake said:

This is what I would do. We have gone through so many adapter over my 3 years working here. The solution that has worked most effectively is getting a cable with both required ends already terminated. (Just keep in mind that nothing is immune to failing)

I think maybe I should try and confirm if the adapter has failed or not.  If it hasn't, then its probably the port that has failed on the board... I hate dealing with RMA issues ? The build is less than a month old.

Other replies here have suggested that HDMI & DVI cannot operate together with on-board, as they are both digital outputs - quite silly that a mobo would facilitate both when they cannot be used at the same time.  I guess I have two options, either get a DVI-D to VGA adapter or attempt to track down a DVI-D to VGA cable - which is proving to be a challenge, as most of them are DVI-I to VGA cables.

Just an update, I've decided to bite the bullet and spoil myself with a new graphics card instead. 

I managed to find a very awesome deal on a brand new Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB OC. 

I have looked at several online wattage calculators to see what the power requirements are and I'm concerned that I might have to upgrade my current 550W PSU. Considering these are only synthetic figures, could I realistically get away with using a 550W or do I absolutely have to upgrade?

Several sources say its possible to comfortably use a 550W and others say definitely not. 

Summary of Specs:

CPU: i5-9600K

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B360-G

MONITORS: Dell SE2717H
LG 22MP48HQ-P 

SORAGE: 256GB Crucial 2.5" SSD

RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix @2333Mhz

Two Internal 1TB HHD @ 7200RPM

Rest of the peripherals are pretty standard I would say. 

Any further advice is greatly appreciated. 

Regards, 

leviathan1701

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I have managed to purchase a 850W power supply and connected everything with the new GPU including driver and software installation (ASUS RX Vega 64).  I've doubled checked all the BIOS settings - iGPU set to enabled but unfortunately my second screen still isn't working. Tested both HDMI cables and both screens again individually, they all working.  Also tested the onboard and GPU HDMI ports individually, also working fine... so at this point I have no idea what is happening.

I am trying to output my main display from the GPU HDMI port and the secondary display from the onboard HDMI port.

Any further advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

leviathan1701

Sounds like the last thing you need now is a display port to HDMI cable (or vga or whatever you wanna connect that 2nd monitor with). AFAIK you can't use onboard AND a GPU, it's just either/or. Guess it's time to start a cable and adapter collection!

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

I felt really silly now... I needed to reboot and suddenly the second monitor started working, I cannot explain this as I've tried this numerous times 

Tthe main display is connected via HDMI with discrete graphics and the other one is via HDMI onboard, which is obviously not the best but is fine for my purposes.

I'll consider getting an adapter or cable at some stage but for now I'm relived everything is working now.

I appreciate everyone's assistance and my apologies for wasting everyone's time with these unexplainable things...seems to be happening to me all the time, probably just my bad luck