screen capturing lowers FPS a lot

IBM_THINKPAD_R51

So when I play CS:GO, i always get anywhere from 150-300FPS. However when I start to record using Fraps, it bring the In-game FPS all the way down to 40-60 FPS...Any Idea why?

c.PNG

12 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

So when I play CS:GO, i always get anywhere from 150-300FPS. However when I start to record using Fraps, it bring the In-game FPS all the way down to 40-60 FPS...Any Idea why?

That shouldn't happen.  Your frame rate should remain.  What CPU and GPU do you have ?  Can you tell us your specs so we can help you better.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Most likely that your hardware isn't powerful enough to record gameplay. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

That shouldn't happen.  Your frame rate should remain.  What CPU and GPU do you have ?  Can you tell us your specs so we can help you better.

2 Intel Xeon X5670's (each has 6 cores and 12 threads running at 2.93Ghz base and 3.33Ghz boost and each has 12MB cache)

36GB DDR3 advanced ECC FB-DIMM RAM running at hexachannel

GTX 1060 3GB

Fraps is recording in this RAID array:

4 300GB 15K rpm SAS drives in RAID 1+0

@PopsicleHustler

Have you tried to lower the "Video Capture Settings" to 60 FPS? If you try to record in 300 FPS, that may be much more demanding on your computer, thus lowering performance. Your game should still run at 150-300 FPS if it records at 60, but the recording wouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, TheBaconGuy said:

Have you tried to lower the "Video Capture Settings" to 60 FPS? If you try to record in 300 FPS, that may be much more demanding on your computer, thus lowering performance. Your game should still run at 150-300 FPS if it records at 60, but the recording wouldn't be.

i tried at 60FPs but it still does the same thing

It looks like you're recording at 300FPS instead of 60FPS. Try lowering that under Video Capture Settings.

If that doesn't work, I'd doubt Fraps will work that well on your PC. You could try recording with OBS and use NVENC. OBS gives you quite a bit more options compared to Fraps.

1 hour ago, t4ils said:

It looks like you're recording at 300FPS instead of 60FPS. Try lowering that under Video Capture Settings.

If that doesn't work, I'd doubt Fraps will work that well on your PC. You could try recording with OBS and use NVENC. OBS gives you quite a bit more options compared to Fraps.

Or GeForce Experience and just see which one does better for your system OBS or Experience.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

You should try another software. FRAPS hasn't been updated in 6 years. I don't think it has very good optimization for multicores beyond dual core, and none to hyper-threading or any other current mainstream tech.

OBS, DXtory, probably XSplit too are updated and better optimized for modern hardware.

If you want to continue with FRAPS, set fps target to 120. The way FRAPS works is that the target fps is what it locks to. That will be enough for you to play with and still get decent size files.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv