Gaming on Some Old Monitors

Snig

I have an old Asus monitor with a resolution of 1600 x 900. I also have an old Dell monitor that is 1024 x 100. I was thinking about buying another one of the Dells to play games across all three of them. Is this possible? I know there will be black bars, but it's forgivable. I also have my Switch plugged into the Asus and was wondering if I could switch the input to the Switch while using the computer and switch it back without too much trouble. While using the Switch and PC, I would be using the PC for things that aren't gaming. My specs are a 3gb GTX 1060, an i5-8400, and eight gigs of ram. Thanks!

Paying for a 1024 x100 monitor I will never recommend.

Get it for free or don't get it at all.

And what is this switch you talk about? switch for what? nintendo switch? 

?

?

No signature found

Yeah, just buy a signal splitter that you can mount somewhere on your desk.

Depends on which type of cable you use (hdmi, DP, VGA) you buy the respective splitter, hook it up accordingly and you can switch between the inputs with little to no trouble.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/3-port-hdmi-splitter/1571307

Even something like that ^ is enough for what you need, granted it is in Australia, the concept is still the same.

EDIT: As for playing one PC game on the three screens, Nvidia Eyefinity does this for you.

You could set up something like Nvidia surround on the monitors, but you would need to change something so all the resolutions are the same, either reduce the resolution of the higher res monitor or increase the res of the lower res monitors. Either way won't look quite right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

You could set up something like Nvidia surround on the monitors, but you would need to change something so all the resolutions are the same, either reduce the resolution of the higher res monitor or increase the res of the lower res monitors. Either way won't look quite right.

So decrease the Dells to 1024 x 900? I literally can't make one monitor the same as the other. Only decrease the vertical height of the Dells or horizontal size of the Asus. Would nVidia Surround treat it all as a 3648 x 900 screen?

7 minutes ago, Snig said:

I was thinking about buying another one of the Dells to play games across all three of them. Is this possible?

this will not end up well, all those different dpi, colour tones are just nightmare to adjust.

1 minute ago, Snig said:

So decrease the Dells to 1024 x 900? I literally can't make one monitor the same as the other. Only decrease the vertical height of the Dells or horizontal size of the Asus. Would nVidia Surround treat it all as a 3648 x 900 screen?

You would probably have to create custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel. The screen resolutions must be identical in order for Nvidia Surround to function.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You would probably have to create custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel. The screen resolutions must be identical in order for Nvidia Surround to function.

Darn... So there is no way to game across all three of them or treat them as one big display?

1 minute ago, Snig said:

Darn... So there is no way to game across all three of them or treat them as one big display?

Like I said, create custom resolutions in the Nvidia Control Panel. You will get weird stretching across the monitors since they aren't the same aspect ratio, but they should be able to function, I just wouldn't expect it to look good.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/custom_resolutions.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

The only 'old' monitors worth using are CRT's.  'Old' LCD's are even more trash than 'new' ones.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |