Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iLostMyXbox21

Selling my laptop...

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay so my laptop is trash. Here is what it is 

So my question is, would It be better to sell it as a laptop, or by selling the individual parts (I.e, ram, hdd, mobo, etc.)

edit: forgot to mention, the battery is dead. As in it won’t charge

I watched the world float to the dark side of the moon.. After all I knew it had to be something to do with you

Laptop:

CPU: Intel Celeron N2840

RAM: (1x4) DDR3L 4gb 1600mhz

SCREEN: 15.6” 1366 x 768p

GPU: Intel HD Graphics

HDD: 500gb 7200rpm

Phone:

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 425

RAM: 2gb

Storage: 16gb (now 24gb)

Screen: 1280 x 720p

Pixel Density: 294 ppi

Camera: 1920 x 1080p 13mp 

6 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Okay so my laptop is trash. Here is what it is 

So my question is, would It be better to sell it as a laptop, or by selling the individual parts (I.e, ram, hdd, mobo, etc.)

edit: forgot to mention, the battery is dead. As in it won’t charge

Sell as is, and state it needs a new battery. Sometimes people wont care if they plan to leave it plugged in all the time.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Laptops aren't worth parting out. Desktops, maybe, but laptops? Nope.

Just sell it as-is.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: i7-950 OC'd to 3.96GHz @ 1.325V Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

lol why are you here, nobody is allowed to be here

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Sell as is, and state it needs a new battery. Sometimes people wont care if they plan to leave it plugged in all the time.

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Laptops aren't worth parting out. Desktops, maybe, but laptops? Nope.

Just sell it as-is.

Okay thank you both, what would be a good price? If you don’t feel like reading the specs on the site, it’s also in my sig

I watched the world float to the dark side of the moon.. After all I knew it had to be something to do with you

Laptop:

Phone:

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Okay thank you both, what would be a good price? If you don’t feel like reading the specs on the site, it’s also in my sig

WIth no battery Id say $75-$125 USD

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

WIth no battery Id say $75-$125 USD

I will probably list it as $125, but I’ll lower it if someone wants it but doesn’t wanna spend that much

Laptop:

Phone:

6 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

I will probably list it as $125, but I’ll lower it if someone wants it but doesn’t wanna spend that much

I would honestly say 50 bucks is being generous. It might sell for 100 if the battery was good and it was in physically good shape.

I'd say list it as $125 and accept offers from eBay, you could then negotiate the price. It's a modern laptop with 4GB RAM, I'd buy it for practical purposes like routing and/or NAS/server management

You could even transform it to a desktop using a homemade case

10 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

You said it had a dead battery, right? If so, I'd put it for $125-150.

SPECS:

CPU: i7-950 OC'd to 3.96GHz @ 1.325V Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Steelseries Arctis 5

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You said it had a dead battery, right? If so, I'd put it for $125-150.

If I buy a pc case, could i sell it as an office PC? I could upgrade to 8gb ram

Laptop:

Phone:

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

If I buy a pc case, could i sell it as an office PC? I could upgrade to 8gb ram

Possibly, but I doubt it would increase the price much (the RAM might, but the case won't; if anything, it'll be worth less because you'll have to supply your own keyboard, mouse, and monitor).

SPECS:

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Possibly, but I doubt it would increase the price much (the RAM might, but the case won't; if anything, it'll be worth less because you'll have to supply your own keyboard, mouse, and monitor).

Well I have a monitor I could sell with it, and I have a *decent* Kbm (came with an HP 2 in 1 I took apart) I could sell with it. 

And the monitor would would be better, because it’s a 1080p monitor, and the one the laptop comes with is a 726p (I think) monitor, plus they are both 60hz, but the monitor I have has more options (I have it set up for better vision in siege, but I can reset it)

the laptop top is not damaged, but it has slight scuffs on the back that I can wash off

Laptop:

Phone:

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Well I have a monitor I could sell with it, and I have a *decent* Kbm (came with an HP 2 in 1 I took apart) I could sell with it. 

And the monitor would would be better, because it’s a 1080p monitor, and the one the laptop comes with is a 726p (I think) monitor, plus they are both 60hz, but the monitor I have has more options (I have it set up for better vision in siege, but I can reset it)

the laptop top is not damaged, but it has slight scuffs on the back that I can wash off

Try selling it as a laptop first, if it doesn't sell try making it a desktop.

SPECS:

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try selling it as a laptop first, if it doesn't sell try making it a desktop.

Okay that will probably be easier. Should I upgrade to 8gb ram first? It’s only like $20 to buy the ram, then I can sell the 4gb stick for $5 or $10 on eBay

Laptop:

Phone:

4 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Okay that will probably be easier. Should I upgrade to 8gb ram first? It’s only like $20 to buy the ram, then I can sell the 4gb stick for $5 or $10 on eBay

Honestly upgrading it is not going to make it worth anymore. It is a 200 dollar laptop that can be picked up for 150 on sale brand new.

Whoever suggested turning it into a desktop you dont just buy a case. It is usually a couple weeks worth of custom work building a case around a proprietary motherboard, extending ribbon cables and making a custom thermal solution. Even after all of that it still wont be worth anything.