XBOX 360 discs not working

redbullvodka

Yo! So, I know this isn't a "modern" issue, but hope I can find some help anyways.

I'm not very old, I grew up during the xbox and xbox 360 days, so there were obviously massive amounts of xbox played. My xbox 360 got stolen a while back, and lately I've been struck with Halo nostalgia.

I went online, found an xbox 360 for a decent price on craigslist, got delivered and started up without a hitch, but any time I insert a disc (Legit purchased discs from 2008-2010), I get slapped with the "To play this disc, put it in a XBOX 360 console..."

From my limited understanding of consoles, chipping them is very popular, and that might be the case here, but there is no way for me to know atm. But that should still not affect my ability to play my old discs, right?

halp

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Sounds like the laser reader has gone bad. Chances are Microsoft will no longer repair it, unfortunately. 

P.S.: Here's an article that I found with some fixes you could try but I doubt they will work. http://nerdtrek.com/xbox-360-read-game-discs/

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

Just now, Kdog said:

Sounds like the laser reader has gone bad. Chances are Microsoft will no longer repair it, unfortunately. 

Oof, thanks for the reply!

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Just now, redbullvodka said:

Oof, thanks for the reply!

No problem. I did post a P.S. that may help you but I doubt it. 

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

You can probably find a used xbox 360 dvd drive online and just replace it.  Its a really simple operation, if indeed the laser is bad.

So this error is more common in a console where the disc drive has been attempted to be replaced.

Unfortunately the disc drives control board and the console motherboard are "tied" together.

If you want to play online your best bet is to buy another console.