Which 2080 ti has the least coil whine?

Tech Enthusiast
17 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Thanks a lot. Very valuable information for me!

I have to restract my statement.  I silenced my room by turning off everything I could, took off my side panel, and was able to hear some slight coil whine.  Keep in mind this is in a VERY silent machine...I am not sure if you would be able to hear it over GPU fans.  You can decide...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Yes, that is some coil whine there. It does however sound much, much less annoying than what I am getting here.

Would not think about a RMA with that kinda sound. A side panel would likely block it almost 100%.

It seems like no Strix is in Stock in the next 3 months, anywhere in Germany. I have called all the major stores and amazon.

So I am out of luck for that idea.

Would love to get further input about 2080tis that don't suffer from Coil / Mosfet whine, or just a little bit.

EVGA FTW3 is on our list now, granted I think the whine can be blocked by a closed case, but more options would be great. FTW3 are not easy to come by either sadly.

Looking for a model that is close to the silence of a Strix (not more than 3-4dB louder would be great). The looks are a bonus, but at this point i honestly don't care really. I just want the power without having to use headphones. 

Thanks for your help guys!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I am on my 5th (!!!) Strix now and giving up.

Meanwhile, I used a Seasonic X series 850w, Seasonic Platinum 750w and an Asus Thor 850w. So I am certain it is not related to the power supply.

The whine is so bad that I can still hear it trough a locked door. On all five samples. Three Gaming, one Advanced and one OC (wanted to make sure,...).

Gonna try some EVGA now i guess. ?

Edit: Another one on his 4th Strix,... -> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-anyone-own-an-rtx-2080ti-without-coil-whine.3460785/

Guess Asus lost a costumer or two.

I’d really like to hear coil whine in person. See what I’m missing out on. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

22 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Update:

I am on my 5th (!!!) Strix now and giving up.

Meanwhile, I used a Seasonic X series 850w, Seasonic Platinum 750w and an Asus Thor 850w. So I am certain it is not related to the power supply.

The whine is so bad that I can still hear it trough a locked door. On all five samples. Three Gaming, one Advanced and one OC (wanted to make sure,...).

Gonna try some EVGA now i guess. ?

Edit: Another one on his 4th Strix,... -> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-anyone-own-an-rtx-2080ti-without-coil-whine.3460785/

Guess Asus lost a costumer or two.

I tired 4 strix'es myself, didn't find one without coil whine. I also tried an EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA which was even worse. I also tried them in my previous computer to check if it was the PSU, but it was worse with the older PSU (Currently I'm using a brand new Corsair HX850i)

I just gave up :/ 

Sorry to hear that.

Almost at the same point TBH, but not quite yet.

Gonna get both a Gainward Phoenix and EVGA FTW3 tomorrow. 

Reviews for the Phoenix often explicitly talk about "no whine" and EVGA lists coil whine as RMA reason. So at least I am seeing a chance to get lucky.

Also, there is the possibility that this is related to the power grid itself. If the two new GPUs suck as well, I may try moving my PC to my friends house and see if it is indeed the cables in my house.

Update on the Gainward Phoenix:

The Coil Whine is even worse then with the Strix. Much worse actually.

I am starting to think that something else is causing this.

But I am running out of ideas. Already switched mainboards, Power Supplies and 6 2080TIs by now.

Guess I can only pray for the EVGA GPU tomorrow (shipping got delayed) and hope for the best. The last possible cause of this would be the power plug from the wall itself. Damn it.

So you are using larger psu’s right? Not going off the common them of minimal power is preferred?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

The Seasonic X Series was 750w. Seasonic Prime Platinum was 850w and the current Asus Thor is also a 850w PS.

According to the "on PSU Display" of the Thor, I am pulling less than 400W total under load, so I should be fine.

Edit: Something I don't get,... I had a GTX 970 before. Which was known to be a noisy AF piece when it came down to coil whine. 

But it was nowhere near the amount of coil whine I am getting now with the 2080ti. Not even remotely close. My case blocked most of the whine on the 970 easily. To a point of not noticing it at all, unless pressing the ear against it. But these 2080TIs really scream like no tomorrow for me. But people claim their 2080TI don't do that, so I am starting to question what I may be missing here.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, Tech Enthusiast said:

Update on the Gainward Phoenix:

The Coil Whine is even worse then with the Strix. Much worse actually.

I am starting to think that something else is causing this.

But I am running out of ideas. Already switched mainboards, Power Supplies and 6 2080TIs by now.

Guess I can only pray for the EVGA GPU tomorrow (shipping got delayed) and hope for the best. The last possible cause of this would be the power plug from the wall itself. Damn it.

@Tech Enthusiast Did you have any luck with your EVGA FTW3 2080 ti? Or did it also produce coil whine.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, Tech Enthusiast said:

So, you have an EVGA 2080 ti and can confirm it has no coil whine?

I have 2 EVGAs and know they have no coil whine but they are both noisy at over 120% power limit.

If you want a quit card go water or keep your card below 100% on the power limit.

Also make sure that you get a card that has at least 124% on the power limit or I will be pointless overclocking it. 

There are no good cheap RTX 2080 tis. If you go cheap get headphones. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV