Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glenwing

"G-Sync Compatible" Master Thread

alright so heres my experience so far. i feel i must be doing something wrong because i cant seem to see any significant difference with the pedulum demo or the that website test.

so i got my 34UC88-B connected via displayport and Freesync activated in OSD.

NVIDIA driver lets me enable g-sync - done.

set monitor to 75hz 

open cru and set range to 35-75

restart with cru

open wildlands for testing

feels amazing

then i got black frames / frame skipping

shit...

ok lets read online ...someone mentioned frame skipping aove 60hz

well that a bummer

alright set range to 35-61 as per instruction

open wildands ,....nice its gone.....ohhh no there it is.

tldr; runs, works, feels great, occasional frame skipping and weird dimming effect in loading screens might bother some but i think i still prefer it to no using g-sync

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Delidded i7 7700k (watercooled) Cooling: 3x 360 rads by Alphacool  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero (watercooled)  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Corsair MP510 960GB SSD(Applikations): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 D Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon

On 1/15/2019 at 9:13 PM, Glenwing said:

This is a thread for all general discussion concerning NVIDIA's new "G-Sync Compatible" feature (i.e. NVIDIA "FreeSync" support).

Official announcement from NVIDIA can be found HERE.

Spreadsheet of non-certified monitors that have been tested by the community can be found HERE (not maintained by me). Post on the Reddit thread HERE if you want to contribute to it.

FAQ

What is this new "G-Sync compatible" thing?

In the past, G-Sync has only operated using a proprietary protocol created by NVIDIA. This requires a proprietary display control chip that recognizes this protocol. Now, NVIDIA has added support for running G-Sync (variable refresh rates) via an alternate protocol, the standardized DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This is the same protocol that AMD uses for FreeSync over DisplayPort. This means, in a nutshell, that NVIDIA has added support for G-Sync functionality on any monitor that supports AMD FreeSync over DisplayPort.

What are the requirements? How do I turn it on?

• You must update your graphics card to the latest NVIDIA driver, available HERE.
  • You must be using Windows 10.
  • You must have a GeForce 1000-series card or newer. GeForce 900 series and below are not supported at this time.
  • You must have a monitor that supports the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. This includes any monitor that supports AMD FreeSync over DisplayPort.
  • You must be connected to the monitor with a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection. This includes DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-C/Thunderbolt (assuming the USB-C/TB port has video capability provided by a 1000+ series NVIDIA GPU, which is not the case on all laptops), or any combination of these.

You turn it on using the instructions provided HERE.

Is a "G-Sync Compatible monitor" just NVIDIA's term for "FreeSync monitor" then?

No. NVIDIA is only calling monitors "G-Sync Compatible" if they have been certified to meet NVIDIA's implementation requirements. This is a method of quality control. The DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol only specifies a method of supporting variable refresh rates, it does not make any mandates about the quality of the implementation (such as the operating range, etc.). Some early FreeSync monitors were notorious for implementing poor operating ranges (i.e. 48–60 Hz) or disabling response time compensation (RTC/overdrive) when FreeSync was enabled). NVIDIA's "G-Sync Compatible" is a branding that they will only use for monitors that they have certified to meet their implementation quality requirements.

So, does that mean only certain FreeSync monitors will be supported?

No. G-Sync can be enabled on any monitor with the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, which includes all FreeSync monitors. If the monitor has not been certified as "G-Sync Compatible", then it just means G-Sync will not be turned on by default when you plug in the monitor, you will have to enable it manually. And keep in mind that you may encounter issues such as flickering or other problems, since the monitors have not been certified for compatibility.

Which monitors have been certified as G-Sync Compatible?

The list can be found in the NVIDIA announcement linked at the top of the post.

What about FreeSync over HDMI?

NVIDIA is only adding support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. FreeSync over HDMI does not use the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, they use a different protocol (seemingly a custom one developed by AMD, it's hard to say since AMD has never made any technical details available that I'm aware of. It does not use the HDMI Game Mode VRR protocol introduced with the HDMI 2.1 specification, since FreeSync over HDMI predates the publication of version 2.1, unless whatever method AMD developed actually became standardized as that protocol. Like I said, no details released, so we can only speculate).

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

EDIT: No, a DP to HDMI adapter will not help. As mentioned in the "requirements" section, you need a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection.

What are "G-Sync Premium Experience" and "G-Sync Ultimate"?

In addition to the "G-Sync Compatible" certification, NVIDIA is introducing two new terms to classify G-Sync displays.

Basically, "G-Sync Premium Experience" refers to normal G-Sync monitors that we're familiar with, equipped with a traditional G-Sync module (V1 or V2). These modules provides support for other non-G-Sync related features such as ULMB (backlight strobing) as well as NVIDIA's advanced variable overdrive algorithm to reduce motion blur during G-Sync operation, which are not required for "G-Sync Compatible" displays but are included on all traditional G-Sync monitors.

"G-Sync Ultimate" is NVIDIA's new term for monitors that use their updated V3 G-Sync module (such as the ASUS PG27UQ and Acer X27 4K 144 Hz G-Sync monitors). These monitors are required to pass the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification (which implicitly requires FALD backlighting if it's an LCD panel monitor) and have a wide color gamut.

How is G-Sync working without a module now? Does this mean it was never needed?

The traditional G-Sync protocol created by NVIDIA still only works with the G-Sync module. With this update, NVIDIA has added support for a different protocol that accomplishes the same thing. They've just decided to call it "G-Sync" too. "G-Sync" has been effectively expanded to an umbrella term to refer generically to "variable refresh rates on NVIDIA GPUs".

The module was required when G-Sync was first created, because the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol did not exist at the time. Recall that the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol was only developed by AMD and adopted into the DP standard in response to G-Sync (granted it was based on an eDP feature called Panel Self-Refresh, but we'll hold that aside). There are some arguments to be made about how long it took for NVIDIA to adopt the standardized protocol once it was created, whether they should have abandoned the module-based approach along time ago, and whatnot, but at least accusations about "the G-Sync module doesn't really do anything and never has" are simply not factually accurate.

Discussion

Please feel free to continue all discussion in this thread, report your experiences and test results, etc. :)

I seem to be able to use gsync with no problems in my Acer XR342CK with an RTX 2080 although the range is not brilliant it is better than nothing at 50 to 75hz making dips below the refresh rate so much better. I tested in battlefield v at 3440x1440 on the ultra preset with a 2080 and a 5930K @4.4GHz and used the monitors built it refresh rate monitoring feature in the osd to validate panel changing its refresh rate and so far no issues that Nvidia have talked have come up.

Main PC Specs:

- CPU i7-5930K @4.4GHz, MOBO Asus X99 Deluxe U/3.1, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz DDR4 (4x8GB), GPU EVGA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti SC+ with Arctic Accelero Xtreme III, STORAGE Samsung 850 EVO (500GB) + WD RED (2TB) + WD BLUE (2TB), COOLER Kraken X62, PSU Corsair HX1000i, CASE Master Case Pro 5

Peripherals:

- MONITORS Acer XR342CK + Samsung S24E510C, KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB, MOUSE Logitech MX Master 2S & Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum & Logitech G403, MIC Blue YetiHEADPHONES Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Main Laptop (HP Omen 17-CB005NA)

- CPU i7-9750HRAM 16GB 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2x8GB Dual Channel), GPU NVIDIA GEFORE RTX 2060DISPLAY 17.3" 144Hz 1080p IPS, STORAGE Samsung M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (512GB) + Seagate Barracuda Pro 7200RPM HDD (1TB)

HTPC:

- CPU i5-4570, MOBO Asus H81M-PLUS, RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU Asus Pheonix GEFORCE GTX 1050 TiSOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster ZSTORAGE Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) + WD Blue HDD (1TB), COOLER Intel Stock Cooler, PSU Novatech 500W PSU, CASE Novatech Stealth Case.

Peripherals:

KEYBOARD Corsair K63, MOUSE Logitech G602, SPEAKERS LG 5.1 Surround Sound Syste

Backup Laptop (Asus FX503VM-EN184T):

- CPU i5-7300HQRAM 16GB 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2x8GB Dual Channel), GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 3GBDISPLAY 15.6" 120Hz 1080p TN,STORAGE SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD (256GB) + WD Black 7200RPM HDD (1TB)

NAS/Plex Machine:

- CPU i5-6400, MOBO Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H, RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, GPU Zotac GEFORCE GTX 1070 Mini, STORAGE SanDisk SSD Plus (120GB) + 2x WD Red HDD (4TB), COOLER Intel Stock Cooler, PSU Corsair 500W, CASE Thermaltake Versa H17

On 1/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, LinusOnLine said:

Works on my AOC C32G1 with a 1070ti on DP and 144hz.

I am very pumped.  Just bought this monitor and had no idea that G-sync would work on it. I had just upgraded my older monitor for a faster refresh rate and just found out about this little bonus w/ G-Sync. I have a GTX 1070 and the AOC C32G1 will be delivered on Weds.  I'll report back the results after I get the AOC set up.

Just tried it on the GIGABYTE AD27QD and doesn't work. Once I apply for "this display" and I start up a game screen goes weird then blacks out and switches itself into sleep/standy mode.

It does work. For some reason first time I tried it didn’t. Update to last driver 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

So could G-sync be enabled on an Asus VG278QR  monitor with msi geforce gtx 1060 6gb gaming x? This monitor has DisplayPort 1.2 and "features Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync™) technology" according to Asus

I am trying to convince myself to buy this monitor 😁

Hey! new guy in this forum . I have a question. Is Asus VG278QR(165 hz) G-sync compatible? I know that Asus VG278Q is, but what about this one ? Does Adaptive sync essentially means G-SYNC compatible ?

Hello, I’m in the process of building a new computer, one that I won’t have to worry about upgrading for a long time. Some things you should know before responding to my questions is that I’m a hardcore gamer. I don’t play for fun, anything that I can do to have the advantage slanted to my way is what I’m looking for. Do I play fortnite and other games that don’t demand a lot of hardware to run them smooth? Yes... but a game like Anthem that requires some solid hardware is something that I’m more Interested in. I’m pretty sure I’m happy with my build so far but I’ve ran into a wall. I’m not quite sure what to do. I’m in need of a really good monitor but I’m not trying to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on it. What is important to me is 144hz or more and 1ms response time. I really like the ASUS ROG monitors because of the RGB. There are just so many random questions and none are related to the ones I’ve been looking at. I’m not a huge fan of curve screens either

here is my completed build so far

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MbvZyX

Hey so I was wondering if I have 2 monitors 1 with free sync and the other without is it will still work and if I have 2 monitors and they’re bith the same and with freesync if it will work also do I have to enable v sync on the noviciate control panel cuz I saw u have to do that on jokers video on YouTube 

I just built pc with RTX 2080 Ultra in it.

I would like some guidance on which G sync monitors are good without overpaying for something I don't need.

Thank you. 

18 hours ago, ManicMiner said:

I just built pc with RTX 2080 Ultra in it.

I would like some guidance on which G sync monitors are good without overpaying for something I don't need.

Thank you. 

AOC G2590FX its freesync but its gsync compatible

I am having some issue with my CF VEGA64 rig + Acer XR341CK, so I removed it for trouble-shooting. Replaced it with my GTX1080 rig, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my monitor is one of thoseGsync compatible ones. Tried it and now I have it Gsync'ed at 75Hz (same as with Freesync).

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 4x 8GB XPG Spectrix D60G DDR4 3200 | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | OPPO HA-1 + Philips Fidelio HTL9100 | Acer XR341CK 21:9 Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | 2x Gigabyte RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC (CrossFire) | iFi Micro iDSD BL + Samsung HW-K651 | Caselabs M8 | Corsair HX-1050 | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G502 | Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | 16GB RipJawsX 2133mhz | Leaadtek GTX1080 Hurricane | Tt View 31 | Enermax 1500 MAX Revo | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro

Can anyone ELI5 what "Strobing" is?  I see it on the spreadsheet but no explanation of what it is.  It looks like it's good for a monitor to have strobing, based on the Yes being green.

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TheAngryIntern said:

Can anyone ELI5 what "Strobing" is?  I see it on the spreadsheet but no explanation of what it is.  It looks like it's good for a monitor to have strobing, based on the Yes being green.

Flickering the monitor's illumination source on and off reduces perceived motion blur at the cost of loss of brightness.

To add to the Reddit maintained spreadsheet if anyone here happens to be updating it...

AOC C24G1

99% sRGB

Freesync range 48Hz-144Hz

Gsync range (default) ~70Hz-144Hz

Gsync range (CRU profile) 49Hz-144Hz

Important to set the custom CRU profile 49Hz because Nvidia driver somehow ignores 48Hz and gives it something higher, resulting in jarring stutter when constantly switching between LFC and Gsync. On my unit, setting a floor below 48Hz breaks Gsync.

MBR (strobing) does not work with Freesync or Gsync enabled. Set overdrive to medium or strong. Some overshoot on strong.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I can confirm that the AOC G2460PF works great

- OS Manjaro Linux

- Nvidia driver 418.43

- Linux kernel 5.0

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I just got an AOC G2590FX and I'm loving the 144hz 😍. The problem is that I have a GTX 960 and seems that "G Sync Compatible" is not available on the 900 series. Is there anything I can tweak to get te best of my setup besides upgrading the card?

Can confirm the Samsung C27HG70 works perfectly with G Sync.

The display must be set to Freesync in the OSD, Freesync Ultimate causes ghosting in some games.

Even HDR seemed to work although I wasn't able to test it beyond simply running ACO.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Just giving a shout for the Hannspree HG324QJB - working perfectly with g-sync compatibility so far~

On 3/8/2019 at 6:24 PM, Glenwing said:

Flickering the monitor's illumination source on and off reduces perceived motion blur at the cost of loss of brightness.

I haven't been able to google myself to an answer to this, but maybe you know.

Does strobing backlight work on a FreeSync monitor if you have an Nvidia GPU and have variable refresh rate enabled?

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I haven't been able to google myself to an answer to this, but maybe you know.

Does strobing backlight work on a FreeSync monitor if you have an Nvidia GPU and have variable refresh rate enabled?

Unfortunately I don't know, I don't have any FreeSync monitors with backlight strobing to test :(

Bit of an odd question. Does anyone know if it needs to be a DP output to a DP input to meet the requirements or if it just needs to be the output? I have an Acer KG241Q 75Hz FreeSync monitor that only has a VGA and 2 HDMI inputs and I was curious if a DP to HDMI cable would work.

27 minutes ago, BlameItOnThe_ said:

Bit of an odd question. Does anyone know if it needs to be a DP output to a DP input to meet the requirements or if it just needs to be the output? I have an Acer KG241Q 75Hz FreeSync monitor that only has a VGA and 2 HDMI inputs and I was curious if a DP to HDMI cable would work.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:13 PM, Glenwing said:

What about FreeSync over HDMI?

NVIDIA is only adding support for the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. FreeSync over HDMI does not use the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol, they use a different protocol (seemingly a custom one developed by AMD, it's hard to say since AMD has never made any technical details available that I'm aware of. It does not use the HDMI Game Mode VRR protocol introduced with the HDMI 2.1 specification, since FreeSync over HDMI predates the publication of version 2.1, unless whatever method AMD developed actually became standardized as that protocol. Like I said, no details released, so we can only speculate).

For now, FreeSync monitors with no DP input, which only support FreeSync via HDMI (there are a few) will not be able to enable G-Sync with this update.

EDIT: No, a DP to HDMI adapter will not help. As mentioned in the "requirements" section, you need a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort connection.

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Thanks, sorry for being "that guy" that only read half way though the post before asking an already answered question. Oops, my bad.