Need help choosing/setting up Nas for public sharing through personal website

Hi guys!

TL;DR AT END

I'm back ? Anyways, I've been thinking about creating a storage "server" if you will for all my pictures. I shoot on a Sony A7riii, a 42Mpx sensor. So far I've filled up 2.5TB out of a 6TB raid 1 config. (2x6tb WD blacks) What I want out of this system is at least 10-12tb of storage. For about $1000 I can get a prebuilt WD or Synology 10/12 one, or I can get about 24 TB if I build it myself. I have a website that I use for all my pictures. 

Sorry, this is super confusing lol.

Basically, I want to have the nas host pictures in a file structure. I then want to be able to give people "access codes" which they can use to make accounts (or login). Those access codes will restrict what part of the file structure they can access, such as code a can access "folder B" This gives them permission for anything inside B (such as C, D, E, etc), but does not allow them to access "folder A". I often take many pictures for people in general, and id like to be able to link my nas to my website. Through my website, they're able to input the access code, access their pictures, and download them. 

My current dilemma is would it be better to buy a prebuilt and configure off of that, or build my own, with my own enclosure. I hope to have at least 10-12 TB usable (after raid 5 or 6). Currently, I've purchased an enclosure, but I'm still able to return it (asustor AS1004T). I know a little bit about networking, but not much at all. I'd be happy to learn how to set up DDNS and all that. Also, I have limited java programming skills, with no skills in CSS or HTML.

If anyone could give me some guidance, or help me/lead me in the correct direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

TL;DR

Dont know if I should buy/build a nas to share folders/pictures with a specific permission structure and have it be accessible through a website.

This might be a really dumb question but when you say "system" are you wanting help choosing parts for a computer? Like a computer system.

8 minutes ago, Michael Nicoletti said:

This might be a really dumb question but when you say "system" are you wanting help choosing parts for a computer? Like a computer system.

Ooo! Sorry. By system, I mean the Nas. I'll be connecting it to a desktop as a external drive. I'm hoping that somehow I'm able to direct a page of my website to a "login page" where people can access files

I believe Nextcloud can do what you want.

When you store pictures that you want to ultimately provide the end user with access to, make sure each folder is separated as such. Folder1 for John doe Folder2 for Jane Doe etc etc... I don't know how you segregate your pictures (date / job / person+job / all-together) but just keep it in mind when doing the below.

Then using NextCloud you would log in, and "share" folder 1 which creates a unique link. Anyone with that link would be able to download (readonly) or download+delete (full) depending on what you set when you created the "share" link. (similar to google drive). As mentioned above, take care in how you create your folder structure, there is no way to deny access to a sub-folder. So when you share access to Folder1 then that person gets access to everything in that folder.. files/folders/whatever.

Just now, Mikensan said:

When you store pictures that you want to ultimately provide the end user with access to, make sure each folder is separated as such. Folder1 for John doe Folder2 for Jane Doe etc etc... I don't know how you segregate your pictures (date / job / person+job / all-together) but just keep it in mind when doing the below.

Then using NextCloud you would log in, and "share" folder 1 which creates a unique link. Anyone with that link would be able to download (readonly) or download+delete (full) depending on what you set when you created the "share" link. (similar to google drive). As mentioned above, take care in how you create your folder structure, there is no way to deny access to a sub-folder. So when you share access to Folder1 then that person gets access to everything in that folder.. files/folders/whatever.

Nextcloud also allows you to track (I believe you need a plugin) how often something is downloaded.

You can also revoke the sharable link so it no longer works.

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Yeah, I'm excited to get Nextcloud working on my server. I just need to figure out how to mount SMB shares in ubuntu (Windows Server is hosting, Next Cloud is on Ubuntu).

I used to use the Windows Server Essentials Anywhere access but they broke it in Server 2016 so Next Cloud it is.

14 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Thank you for that information.

Question:  if I have this file structure

A.     (Main) (date for example)

B.     (Sub 1) (event for example)

C.     (Sub 2) (person for example)

D.     (Sub 3) (persons food for example)

If I want want someone to be able to access their own images (B), but not be able to access all the images from the event, giving access to these links would allow for them to view images of themselves as well as their food, but not from the entire event, right?

Thanks a bunch :p

13 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I'm excited to get Nextcloud working on my server. I just need to figure out how to mount SMB shares in ubuntu (Windows Server is hosting, Next Cloud is on Ubuntu).

I used to use the Windows Server Essentials Anywhere access but they broke it in Server 2016 so Next Cloud it is.

There's a plugin within Nextcloud to connect to SMB shares.

5 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Thank you for that information.

Question:  if I have this file structure

A.     (Main) (date for example)

B.     (Sub 1) (event for example)

C.     (Sub 2) (person for example)

D.     (Sub 3) (persons food for example)

If I want want someone to be able to access their own images (B), but not be able to access all the images from the event, giving access to these links would allow for them to view images of themselves as well as their food, but not from the entire event, right?

Thanks a bunch ?

If you share B Sub1, then those people will have access to C Sub2, D Sub3 and all files within those folders. But not A Main.