Backup solutions - Windows

Hi all,

Just hoping for some advice on this one. 

I currently have 3 drives in my PC. 

Drive 1: 256gb m.2 for OS

Drive 2: 256gb SSD for images i am currently editing (temporary)

Drive 3: 1tb HDD for this year and last years images

External drive for older files.

So i would like some way to back my files up. Possibly buy a 2tb external drive and backup my 1tb drive using something like Acronis once a week?

Hi, consider buying a big external drive and a dual drive NAS (I'm talking 4TB and up). You'd set up the NAS in RAID 1 and set it as a backup target, then once every month or quarter you back that up to the big external drive that you keep in a different physical location (home -> office etc.)

I've had good experience with Paragon backups, now I'm starting to use Acronis (the reason is that we already had an old licence that we upgraded, not that I'd be dissatisfied with Paragon). Both have scheduling and incremental backup features.

Also if you have an Office 365 subscription consider taking advantage of that 1TB of OneDrive storage.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

6 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Hi, consider buying a big external drive and a dual drive NAS (I'm talking 4TB and up). You'd set up the NAS in RAID 1 and set it as a backup target, then once every month or quarter you back that up to the big external drive that you keep in a different physical location (home -> office etc.)

I've had good experience with Paragon backups, now I'm starting to use Acronis (the reason is that we already had an old licence that we upgraded, not that I'd be dissatisfied with Paragon). Both have scheduling and incremental backup features.

Also if you have an Office 365 subscription consider taking advantage of that 1TB of OneDrive storage.

Yeah i try not to use cloud due to having very limited bandwith. I was kind of thinking i might have to invest in a NAS (might just build up a freenas or omv system using an old PC and spin up for backups.)

Out of interest do you prefer Paragon or Acronis?

28 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Out of interest do you prefer Paragon or Acronis?

Both are excellent pieces of software, AFAIK both offer a free trial option (don't know the respective limitations) and honestly you can't go wrong with either of them.

That being said, Paragon Hard Disk Manager appears (at least form my understanding / man sometimes it's really hard to tell reading from a webpage) to be a more complete solution if you need stuff like advanced partitioning. It would appear that with Acronis you need their Disk Director in addition to True Image.

Acronis is also fully translated to Czech. Not necessarily THE deciding factor for me, and most likely a moot point altogether for you, but definitely useful when you're trying to guide your parents through the setup over the phone...

Also Acronis offers subscribtions in addition to permanent licences, although again that's not something I would take advantage of.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

If you just want to back up your system and files from the 1TB, I'd personally just get a bigger HDD to copy the data to once a day/week/month. either internal or external should be fine. Might be better off with USB maybe, at least then the data is portable and you just have to plug it in when you want to backup.

Unless you have a full spare system to make it into a NAS, and then add the HDDs in... I don't think your use case would require spending a lot on new hardware really. If you used it for media playback from too, then it MIGHT be worth a new NAS system as they are quite a bit less power hungry.

I use freefilesync for my data backups, I just prefer it  FreeFileSync - Free Data Backup and File Synchronization Software

And for imaging of OS I use  AOMEI backupper  https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini