Jump to content
Floatplane payments are migrating! Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dayfall

A question about ryzen gen 3 and pcie 4 with B450 motherboards

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

IM looking at moving to ryzen as an upgrade and want to know what people mean when they say some b450/x470 motherboards won't get pcie 4 validation and that this can effect people wanting to use the new gen 3 ryzen chips, does this mean that boards that don't get this validation will simply be stuck wiht pcie 3 speeds when using a Ryzen gen 3 or  will ryzen gen 3 be unusable on these non validated boards?, also im going to assume all current am4 boards will get support for Ryzen gen 3 as amd said they are supporting the socket till 2020 i believe.         

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on the PCIe 4 stuff. 

As for whether or not a given AM4 board will support a Gen 3 CPU or not will depend on the board manufacturer's desire to update the BIOS of their older boards. B450/X470 will likely get updates, B350/X370 might not since they are older.


PCMR

Primary PC: Lazarus | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv7hLJ

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU: Seasonic Focus Platinum 750W | Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX B350-F | Front Panel: Asus DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x @ Stock Speeds | 32 GB DDR4 RAM (4x8) Corsair Vengeance 2933MHz | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba 3.5" HDD, 2TB 5400rpm Seagate Firecuda SSHD, 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 4TB Toshiba X300 7200rpm HDD

Fans: Corsair 120mm SF x 3, Fractal Design 140mm Dynamic X2 x 3 | Peripherals: Asus Strix Flare, Corsair Scimitar Pro | GPU: GTX 1070 STRIX

Expansion Cards: Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card, Asus Xonar DGX | USB devices: Asus AC66 USB 3.0 AC wifi adapter, Blue Snowball, NZXT Hue+

Displays:  23" 1080p 60Hz, Asus PB258Q 27" 1440p 60Hz | OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Secondary PC: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300 HQ | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM | GPU: GTX 1050 4 GB | Storage: 1TB 5400rpm Western Digital HDD, 500GB 960 EVO

OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Tertiary PC: *insert name here*/Xbox replacement | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jYDKQZ

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R (hopefully upgrading to Fractal Design Node 605) | PSU: EVGA 700B | Mobo: Asus Q87m-E/CSM | Front Panel: DVD/RW Drive

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k | RAM: 32GB DDR3 (4x8) Kingston HyperX | CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7

Fans: Corsair 120mm x 1, Arctic F12 PWM x 1 | Peripherals: Generic USB Mouse, Dell PS/2 keyboard | Display: HP 2310m 23" 1080p

Expansion Cards: Asus PCE-AC55 PCIe AC wifi/bluetooth adapter, (may, add Asus Xonar DG)

Storage: 1TB 7200rpm Western Digital 3.5" HDD, 1TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD

GPU: Asus GTX 960 Turbo 4GB| OS: Windows 10 Home x64

Mobile Devices

Asus Zenfone 4 Max | Battery: 5400 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 3 Days | Storage: 32 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 3 GB RAM | APU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 @ 1.4 GHZ | Display: 5.5" 720p | OS: Android 8.1

 

Asus ZenPad S3 10 | Battery: 4000 mAh | Approx Battery Life: 2 Days | Storage: 64 GB Internal Memory, 32 GB mSD Card

RAM: 4 GB RAM | CPU: MTK MT8176 | GPU: IMG GX6250 | Display: 9.7" 2k | OS: Android 7.1

Consoles

Nintendo Switch | 128 GB Samsung micro SD

PS4 Slim | Stock 1TB 5400rpm HDD

Networking

Cable Modem | Asus CM-16

Wireless Router | Asus RT-AC66U_B1

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there are physical limitations in trace length for PCIe so it will be a combination of being physically capable and separately having the motivation to do the update.  However, if everything is backwards compatible then it shouldn't limit your use of a new CPU.  And I can't see why a new CPU would require a new standard when there aren't any other components that utilize it.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Not sure on the PCIe 4 stuff. 

As for whether or not a given AM4 board will support a Gen 3 CPU or not will depend on the board manufacturer's desire to update the BIOS of their older boards. B450/X470 will likely get updates, B350/X370 might not since they are older.

so if i got something in the mid rage like a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO id be good? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dayfall said:

so if i got something in the mid rage like a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO id be good? 

Nobody can say that at this point as it has to be validated and/or tested by people knowing their stuff.

For that you need to wait for that.

 

As for the Board: I'd prefer ASROCK, even if they have way less warranty (only 1 Year instead of 3) than others...

After that maybe MSI.

 


Some "higher end" ASUS Boards have rather high power consumption. WIth the X370-F Strix and the 1700X I'm at around 20W more than MSI B450I or the Biostar X370GT7 I had before...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nobody can say that at this point as it has to be validated and/or tested by people knowing their stuff.

For that you need to wait for that.

 

As for the Board: I'd prefer ASROCK, even if they have way less warranty (only 1 Year instead of 3) than others...

After that maybe MSI.

 


Some "higher end" ASUS Boards have rather high power consumption. WIth the X370-F Strix and the 1700X I'm at around 20W more than MSI B450I or the Biostar X370GT7 I had before...

i do have a ASRock fatality and it has done me well,  

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dayfall said:

IM looking at moving to ryzen as an upgrade and want to know what people mean when they say some b450/x470 motherboards won't get pcie 4 validation and that this can effect people wanting to use the new gen 3 ryzen chips, does this mean that boards that don't get this validation will simply be stuck wiht pcie 3 speeds when using a Ryzen gen 3 or  will ryzen gen 3 be unusable on these non validated boards?, also im going to assume all current am4 boards will get support for Ryzen gen 3 as amd said they are supporting the socket till 2020 i believe.         

It means that you can't use PCIe 4 with those Boards and have to live with PCIe 3.0

 

While its a downside, its not a too big of deal practically...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not count on a B450 board suiting the power needs of a next gen Ryzen CPU.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nick name said:

I would not count on a B450 board suiting the power needs of a next gen Ryzen CPU.  

Bullshit, if we talk about the lower/mid range.

 

Acclrding to the leaks, up to 12 Cores should be fine. 16 Cores maybe not but they are also on the Expensive side...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Bullshit, if we talk about the lower/mid range.

 

According to the leaks, up to 12 Cores should be fine. 16 Cores maybe not but they are also on the Expensive side...

yer isn't the whole thing about gen 3 gonna be same TDP and around 2x the core count?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dayfall said:

yer isn't the whole thing about gen 3 gonna be same TDP and around 2x the core count?   

Correct.

Though some leakers claim that the highest end 16 Core might have a higher TDP. 

But still, with higher end Boards and decent VRM that shouldn't be a Problem at all...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Correct.

Though some leakers claim that the highest end 16 Core might have a higher TDP. 

But still, with higher end Boards and decent VRM that shouldn't be a Problem at all...

yer i don't plan to go over 8 cores thats why im holding off 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×