Techquickie error, about OEM windows

Enderman
3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well, how did you first activate it if you didn't know the key was on the box? :P

I've used two key finders recently to get a key out of a windows 7 system before clean install (both keyfinders worked perfectly and found the same key).

I then used the key to activate a new windows 10 installation.

Now windows 10 pro is fully activated :)

I mean, I haven't bought a laptop in a while, I just remember it coming activated out of the box, maybe I'm wrong. I probably have never actually bought a new laptop, only upgraded older ones.

Oh yeah nice, remember when there were rumors that pirated Windows 7 wouldn't get free upgrades to 10? What ever happened to those? ? It made a great thumbnail though.

hqdefault.jpg.96489b3ac989ce146fd99f429f596f2a.jpg

21 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So how do you get the product key?

The boxes or sleves come with the standard label inside. Along with the usual "for OEM use only" message attatched. I've got 2x boxed OEM copies of Windows 7 Pro (1x 64bit and 1x 32bit), as well as 1x OEM disc+sleeve Windows 7 Home x64.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The boxes or sleves come with the standard label inside. Along with the usual "for OEM use only" message attatched. I've got 2x boxed OEM copies of Windows 7 Pro (1x 64bit and 1x 32bit), as well as 1x OEM disc+sleeve Windows 7 Home x64. 

Yeah, I had no idea with OEM devices you still get the product key, there you go.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah, I had no idea with OEM devices you still get the product key, there you go.

Those were just separate copies. With my desktop the label was stuck to the side panel, and I was given the disc. While some of my old laptops have the sticker underneath instead of the latest approach, which has the key embedded in the BIOS (you can use a tool within Windows to get the key however).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Those were just separate copies. With my desktop the label was stuck to the side panel, and I was given the disc. While some of my old laptops have the sticker underneath instead of the latest approach, which has the key embedded in the BIOS (you can use a tool within Windows to get the key however).

Interesting, I don't even had a need for product keys anymore. It's tied to my Microsoft Account so it's activated as soon as I sign in, if I ever need new keys, I'll keep this strategy in mind.