LTT: We RECOMMEND the Walmart gaming laptop!!

As of the day of this video's filming (Dec 21st), a Walmart-exclusive OVERPOWERED i7 + GTX 1060 laptop could be had for just $799. But is it actually a good value?

Buy Acer Nitro 5 on Amazon: http://geni.us/NUYsOG
Buy Acer Nitro 5 on Newegg: http://geni.us/Baqqh
Buy ASUS Strix Hero on Amazon: http://geni.us/fN8g
Buy ASUS Strix Hero on Newegg: http://geni.us/pxhgx
Buy OVERPOWERED 15+ at Walmart: http://geni.us/bLrjziE

Honestly not bad. Obviously choices made for the laptops and desktops were not made by the same people.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Honestly not bad. Obviously choices made for the laptops and desktops were not made by the same people.

or at least they are better at laptops as far as i can see for now

Should throw in the sponsor link in these sort of posts from now on ;)

(I know it's in the video description, but I mean have it listed the same way you listed Nitro and Strix links)

TL;DW: No major "wtf" problems like the desktop had, though the keyboard is kinda jank (technically mechanical but still feels like a dome), and there are some odd power management things going on. MSRP is $1400, at which the competition is way better. However, it's currently on sale for $800, where it is a VERY good value, outperforming its competition. Verdict is "recommended if on sale".

I have a feeling this thing would benefit greatly from being undervolted. Would probably up the performance to be more on par with the ROG.

Great overview of the laptop. I liked it.

But why still use a 21:9 aspect ratio again... what's the reason for it... maybe if you explain it, I will understand why.

My opinion on the Walmart computers is that it took general complaints of the respective form factor and implemented them without further research.

For example, with their desktops, the general complaint is the lack of type-c but Walmart's implantation with the type-c at the rear with the trade off of only USB 2.0 on the front just doesn't make sense. 

For laptops, the general complaint is 60 Hz refresh rate but Walmart's implantation of a high refresh rate display paired with a low end GPU doesn't make sense. 

So Walmart and their technical partner does know what consumers want, just they don't know how to implement what consumers want while delivering an overall pleasant experience. 

Good Comment from desync from the youtube comments:

your CSGO results on the walmart laptop are probably due to the 2.2ghz cpu. source renderer basically waits on a single thread and an extra 200-600Mhz on those other laptops is a big fps gain. a 4.3Ghz 7700k will get 600 fps in that spot and it's almost purely due to the clock speed.

also iirc CSGO results seen here will be lower than actual matches as you also have to host the server locally which can impact fps

10 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

My opinion on the Walmart computers is that it took general complaints of the respective form factor and implemented them without further research.

For example, with their desktops, the general complaint is the lack of type-c but Walmart's implantation with the type-c at the rear with the trade off of only USB 2.0 on the front just doesn't make sense. 

For laptops, the general complaint is 60 Hz refresh rate but Walmart's implantation of a high refresh rate display paired with a low end GPU doesn't make sense. 

So Walmart and their technical partner does know what consumers want, just they don't know how to implement what consumers want while delivering an overall pleasant experience. 

Ticket price/box label? As Linus said, it's an "NVME" socket, but a "SATA" drive....... so totally legit box and advertising, totally not legit customer expectations.

Can we have more charts? I want to see some performance graphs.

@kuhnerdm Is the current $800 considered "on sale" and therefore recommended?

Hey! Everyone

I've just bought a laptop has the same appearance like the walmart one with a i7-8750H+GTX1050Ti.

CSGO performance is not that bad with my laptop.

With tuning the CPU voltage by -80mv using XTU, I get about 1200cb with cinebench r15.(pretty impressive)

If you guys are interested, please tell me what you want to try on this laptop.

1 hour ago, MysteryG said:

Hey! Everyone

I've just bought a laptop has the same appearance like the walmart one with a i7-8750H+GTX1050Ti.

CSGO performance is not that bad with my laptop.

With tuning the CPU voltage by -80mv using XTU, I get about 1200cb with cinebench r15.(pretty impressive)

If you guys are interested, please tell me what you want to try on this laptop.

OpenTTD... I dare ya

its also free

✨FNIGE✨