Little wind coming out of my fan

loushenwudi0512

Hello everyone,

I noticed recently that my MSI GP72VR 7RF laptop has this overheating problem. I think the fans are not working properly. On Dragon Centre the fan speed were normal (with maxium @6000rps), but there is not too much wind coming out. I opened the back panel a few times in the past to change the thermal paste, which requires me to pull out and replug the fans. I spoke to MSI support and they told me something about EC firmware.

Can anyone suggest what to do here? How do I check what went wrong? What does EC firmware do?

Many thanks,

You might have blocked airflow by putting something back in wrong.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Embedded Controller (EC) manages power, battery, IO, display, and in your case, fan. EC firmware is store on a chip that programs the functionality of EC.

A bad EC and/or EC firmware might cause the system to behave abnormally like losing fan control.

I would suggest you to go to the support page of your laptop and check for EC and/or BIOS update. Follow the instruction to update EC firmware and BIOS.

Flashing firmware may brick your device, so proceed with caution.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

20 hours ago, fasauceome said:

You might have blocked airflow by putting something back in wrong.

The CPU fan seems not running at all, no wind coming out from CPU fan. But when I turn it to maximum it shows its 6000RPS and I can hear the noise of CPU fan.

10 minutes ago, loushenwudi0512 said:

The CPU fan seems not running at all, no wind coming out from CPU fan. But when I turn it to maximum it shows its 6000RPS and I can hear the noise of CPU fan.

Correction: There is wind but it feels the same as I changed from 3000RPM to 6000RPM