In need of advice for TV buying.

Dreaper
Go to solution Solved by TheFlyingTraut,

I edited my post above. And you’re correct. With the Samsung’s and LG’s, their higher tier models are good. Their low ends, TCL beats them. 

Hello, I am looking to buy a 4k tv at around 500$, I would like it to be 50inches+. The TV will be in a fairly open room with a large window so lots of sunlight during the day. Mostly watch sports and a few tv shows along with movies. So far I've looked at two TVs. Looking for advice on which one to pick, or feel free to suggest a totally different tv.  The two TV's I am currently looking at Samsung UN55NU7100 and LG 55UK6300PUE.

i have the 65" samsung 7100...and i really like it...it also has a game mode to lower the rs...it has a simi gloss screen and that helps alot with glare in a bright room. i have my comp going to mine....i had the choice between this and that lg and the samsung had better options and picture in my opinion

That LG doesn't touch the Samsung 7000 series.... Not even comparable. If you're buying LG, you're buying OLED.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

That LG doesn't touch the Samsung 7000 series.... Not even comparable. If you're buying LG, you're buying OLED.

What about the viewing angles, the LG is IPS so it will have better angles, the area is wide and it will be in a corner, people would be looking at it from all different angles 

i have my samsung in the middle of a wall in a 20' by 20' room at 6' away walking from side to side only at the extreme sides is there any (i guess your call it) dimming, but still clear picture and easily watchable
at 8' and farther looks all the same

Every tv has viewing angle issues. Except OLED. I own an LG OLED C7 and Sony XBR850D , which is an IPS panel, and it still has viewing angle issues. The 7000 series in Samsung does a decent job with angles. I think LG has the best smart menu system in the entire industry at the moment, user interfaces are significantly better than anything I've ever owned or played with. However, I think Samsung makes a better tv. The 7000 series from LG is comparable to the Samsung, but not the 6000 series. It's not fair to compare the two.

22 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Every tv has viewing angle issues. Except OLED. I own an LG OLED C7 and Sony XBR850D , which is an IPS panel, and it still has viewing angle issues. The 7000 series in Samsung does a decent job with angles. I think LG has the best smart menu system in the entire industry at the moment, user interfaces are significantly better than anything I've ever owned or played with. However, I think Samsung makes a better tv. The 7000 series from LG is comparable to the Samsung, but not the 6000 series. It's not fair to compare the two.

Do you think the 55UK7700PUD from LG is worth the extra 100$ over the Samsung? 

Nope. Their 7700 series used to be 120hz, now they are 60hz until you get to the 8000 series now. That was the only advantage LG had over Samsung in their mid tiers, but hasn't been like that for a couple years now. I'd still go with the Samsung. $100 still not worth it. Now if you could get into the 8000 samsung, if you're poking at the extra $100 for the LG 7700, how much more is the Samsung 8000? NOT the 49", because it's only 60hz just like the 7100.

5 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Nope. Their 7700 series used to be 120hz, now they are 60hz until you get to the 8000 series now. That was the only advantage LG had over Samsung in their mid tiers, but hasn't been like that for a couple years now. I'd still go with the Samsung. $100 still not worth it. Now if you could get into the 8000 samsung, if you're poking at the extra $100 for the LG 7700, how much more is the Samsung 8000? NOT the 49", because it's only 60hz just like the 7100.

It's 849$, too much for me 

6 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Hello, I am looking to buy a 4k tv at around 500$, I would like it to be 50inches+. The TV will be in a fairly open room with a large window so lots of sunlight during the day. Mostly watch sports and a few tv shows along with movies. So far I've looked at two TVs. Looking for advice on which one to pick, or feel free to suggest a totally different tv.  The two TV's I am currently looking at Samsung UN55NU7100 and LG 55UK6300PUE.

IMHO, DON'T most the 4k TV's in that price point are garbage, resolution doesn't mean shit if you have input lag so bad you can't play Super Mario Brothers on it (like my TV). The LG IPS TV's in my experience can't get dark enough for good black levels due to "IPS Glow" so if you must chose between those 2 go with the Samsung. check out a site called Rtings.com they do all kinds of tests on TV's and are my go to for doing research to see which model will have the better picture quality.

Apparently you haven't heard of TCL tv's. I wouldn't consider those "garbage". He's looking for 50" not 65". Plenty of good 60hz tv's in that range. What current model tv can't you play "Super Mario Brothers" on? Samsung's game mode is one of the best in the industry. Don't hook up a PC to these tv's, and your input lag will be fine. 

Go with the Samsung.

15 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Apparently you haven't heard of TCL tv's. I wouldn't consider those "garbage". He's looking for 50" not 65". Plenty of good 60hz tv's in that range. What current model tv can't you play "Super Mario Brothers" on? Samsung's game mode is one of the best in the industry. Don't hook up a PC to these tv's, and your input lag will be fine. 

Go with the Samsung.

I'm not going to be gaming on it, I'm open to bigger sizes if you think that would be a better option rather than the Samsung 

What’s your budget though? Like what would you be willing to spend if it’s “definitely worth it”?

20 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

What’s your budget though? Like what would you be willing to spend if it’s “definitely worth it”?

Under 550$ is my hard budget. Also atm i really only use it for cable and sometimes I use my chromecast to stream youtube,Netflix, etc. 

Stick with that Samsung. 

You could maybe try to find a sale on a 6 series TCL tv. They are normally $599 but go on sale once in a while. Try to catch an Xmas sale. 

7 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Stick with that Samsung. 

You could maybe try to find a sale on a 6 series TCL tv. They are normally $599 but go on sale once in a while. Try to catch an Xmas sale. 

Would you say the 6 series is worth the extra 50$ over the Samsung?

Yeah. They are both still 60hz, but in my opinion (I’ve sold a lot of both) the TCL supports better HDR, looks more natural and not over saturated. And the Roku system is kinda nice, simple remote. Samsung’s apps are sometimes glitchy. 

**edit**

If you have the option to go see both of them, I would. The TCL has significantly better zone control and a better processor. And that tv is a 55” for $599 btw not a 50” for TCL. For what you’re going to be doing on it. You may be happier going this route. Either one is better than the LG. 

Just now, TheFlyingTraut said:

Yeah. They are both still 60hz, but in my opinion (I’ve sold a lot of both) the TCL supports better HDR, looks more natural and not over saturated. And the Roku system is kinda nice, simple remote. Samsung’s apps are sometimes glitchy. 

the Samsung one doesn't have Dolby vision right?

I edited my post above. And you’re correct. With the Samsung’s and LG’s, their higher tier models are good. Their low ends, TCL beats them. 

After reading some reviews it seems the TCL TV has some pretty consistent vertical banding issues, do you know of this or do you think it's a rare thing. 

Did you read on Rtings? I like their site for reviews, but some of the BS they claim is just that, BS. TCL unfortunately is still a newer company in the states. They have been over in the Asian market for a very long time. 25+ years I believe. They are a very vertical company, and source a lot of things themselves or make it in house to keep cost down. If you're buying it from like a Best Buy, just get the 2 year protection on it. In the case you get a dud, you're still covered up to 2 years, even the 5 year plans aren't bad on those tv's. Electronics are hit and miss with every single one produced, but the bigger companies obviously have a better Sigma value. It's panel lottery :(. I've seen even the Sony 900 series have banding issues. Don't think it's just limited to TCL.

**EDIT**

You could also just step down to the 4/5 series. supports "dolby vision" but we know how marketing works. The 4 series is a very good selling panel, and because it doesn't have the zone control, you're less likely to see the banding issues.

I'd give the TCL 6 series a shot. Get the warranty stuff if you're concerned about it, but wait for it to go on sale. You might be able to get the TV and warranty for same price as it is now. Don't be afraid of open box stuff either. I've worked in the retail market. Half of the things I own are open box. Stuff works or it doesn't. And you can get warranties on almost every single open box.

Did you read on Rtings? I like their site for reviews, but some of the BS they claim is just that, BS. TCL unfortunately is still a newer company in the states. They have been over in the Asian market for a very long time. 25+ years I believe. They are a very vertical company, and source a lot of things themselves or make it in house to keep cost down. If you're buying it from like a Best Buy, just get the 2 year protection on it. In the case you get a dud, you're still covered up to 2 years, even the 5 year plans aren't bad on those tv's. Electronics are hit and miss with every single one produced, but the bigger companies obviously have a better Sigma value. It's panel lottery :(. I've seen even the Sony 900 series have banding issues. Don't think it's just limited to TCL.

**EDIT**

You could also just step down to the 4/5 series. supports "dolby vision" but we know how marketing works. The 4 series is a very good selling panel, and because it doesn't have the zone control, you're less likely to see the banding issues.

I'd give the TCL 6 series a shot. Get the warranty stuff if you're concerned about it, but wait for it to go on sale. You might be able to get the TV and warranty for same price as it is now. Don't be afraid of open box stuff either. I've worked in the retail market. Half of the things I own are open box. Stuff works or it doesn't. And you can get warranties on almost every single open box.

Well if it doesn't work I can get a replacement cause it's faulty, also it's more like 100$ more with tax, do you think it's still worth it? And how is the 5 series compared to the 7000 series samsung

For $100 maybe not. And don't bank on a "replacement because it's faulty". Manufacturers warranties are complete and utter trash. They do anything to get out of it. Seen it every day working retail. 5 series is basically a 6 series minus the contrast control zones. The 6 has 96 zones, the 5 doesn't have any zones. Just a typical edge lit. But does support HDR10 and Dolby Vision. You're paying for the contrast control on the 6 series.

They would be close, the 5 and the 7100. Also, do you want Roku TV as an OS, or Samsung's OS? These things matter.