Updated: Thermal Paste does make a difference.

Nardella

EDIT: As pointed out by a commenter below, the test is invalid.

One of my favorite small youtubers did a video testing the importance of thermal paste. Turns out that, at least in this scenario, it is not very important! I want to see more tests!

Yes, thermal paste matters and DOES make a difference... this is a crock of hogwash if you ask me. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, Nardella said:

One of my favorite small youtubers did a video testing the importance of thermal paste. Turns out that, at least in this scenario, it is not very important! I want to see more tests!

The person who uploaded it said this in the comments section (emphasis added)

I just noticed that the entire experiment may be rubbish... The fans on the right side (where the CPU without paste is) turn much faster than on the other side. This server can control all six fans individually. Today I powered it up with both CPUs properly "pasted" and the fans were spinning at the same speed on both sides. That means, the CPUs only have the same temperature because the server reacts to heat differences and spins up the fans that are close to the hotter CPU. And that means the two CPUs would not have the same temperature if all fans were spinning at the same speed... Conclusion: THERMAL PASTE MAKES MORE DIFFERENCE THAN THIS VIDEO SUGGESTS.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

a retraction of that scale needs a follow-up video IMO o_o

or just a removal of the video all together for spreading bad information.. most people arent going to actually read the comments for follow ups. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Depending on the part being cooled, its power consumption, and the cooler's surface, for short term testing you can get away without using thermal paste. Phil's Computer Lab admitted to not using thermal paste on CPUs because he constantly swaps them out and so applying paste would be annoying (and probably expensive) to do so every time. And the CPUs he tests tend to be at or under 45W and with bare dies for the higher power ones.

But for long term use, you should be using thermal paste. Unless somehow you have a bare die, a mirror finish on the heat sink where it'll contact the part, and the die and heat sink surface are insanely flat.