Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard Compatibility HELP

Today I am going to be buying a Motherboard, Hard Drive, and Case for my first build. I know that the case (Fractal Design Define R4) and the WD caviar blue 1tb HDD will work with everything I have. I already bought an FX-8320 CPU, and I have been reading that it does not work with Asus' M5A97, 970 chipsets. Her's my build if you want to see it. Please Help because I will be buying this today!!!! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2vz6h

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Pics and my reviews for the build here - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvN

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

It does work I put one in the build that I did for my grandpa and it works great.

That will all go together fine

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It does work I put one in the build that I did for my grandpa and it works great.

With an AMD FX-8320?

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

That will all go together fine

Yah just today pcpartpicker started telling that its incompatible and I just wanted to make sure.

With an AMD FX-8320?

yup like i said it's in my Grandpas build the only problem with it is that it didn't overclock very well but that's probably just the silicon lottery.

Yeah i cant see any reason why it cant support it.

8320 is 125w the mobo socket is rated to 140w

mobo is rated for 8 cores as well.

you might have to do a BIOS update but that's about it.

yup like i said it's in my Grandpas build the only problem with it is that it didn't overclock very well but that's probably just the silicon lottery.

mobo socket is rated to 140w 

Overclock = more watts 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yeah i cant see any reason why it cant support it.

8320 is 125w the mobo socket is rated to 140w

mobo is rated for 8 cores as well.

you might have to do a BIOS update but that's about it.

mobo socket is rated to 140w 

Overclock = more watts 

Yes that is what its saying, I need A bios update, but How am I to update it without the CPU working?

You boot into the bios go to advanced settings then on the right it says usb bios update. So all you have to do is on a separate computer go to asus's website download the latest bios onto a usb flash drive plug it in to your new computer and hit that button.

You boot into the bios go to advanced settings then on the right it says usb bios update. So all you have to do is on a separate computer go to asus's website download the latest bios onto a usb flash drive plug it in to your new computer and hit that button.

Oh Okay thanks !

Yes that is what its saying, I need A bios update, but How am I to update it without the CPU working?

Oh Okay thanks !

If the CPU isn't compatible, you won't even be able to POST, yet alone boot to BIOS to update the BIOS.

Luckily for BasedGod, you likely won't need to update the BIOS due to the fact that it will probably have a newer BIOS pre-installed on it already.

If the BIOS isn't a newer version, and you can't POST, extract the BIOS chip from the board (you may need to use a soldering iron depending on the chip), get one of these to update the BIOS to a newer version, flash it with the newer BIOS file, place the flashed chip into the motherboard, and you should be good.

like I said two previous times I have used this exact processor with this exact motherboard and it worked fine the CPU is compatible with the motherboard here is a quote from the NCIX product information page

CPU AMD AM3+ FX™/Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU
Supports CPU up to 8 cores
Supports CPU up to 140 W
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology Chipset

AMD 970/SB950

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76522&promoid=1221

like I said two previous times I have used this exact processor with this exact motherboard and it worked fine the CPU is compatible with the motherboard here is a quote from the NCIX product information page

CPU AMD AM3+ FX™/Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors

Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU

Supports CPU up to 8 cores

Supports CPU up to 140 W

AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology Chipset

AMD 970/SB950

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76522&promoid=122

Okay thanks. I bought it yesterday anyway, because I read that it worked. I hope it does

Okay thanks. I bought it yesterday anyway, because I read that it worked. I hope it does

you need a 990fx motherboard to take advantage of the 8cores tho, i dont think you'd be using them

you need a 990fx motherboard to take advantage of the 8cores tho, i dont think you'd be using them

It'll work just fine. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is the one thing annoying about this forum at times, and it actually is effecting people's decisions. People with not much experience post (incorrect) facts that they have heard somewhere else, and at times, this makes the person who had a question buy something else that is more expensive just because of misinformation.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

It'll work just fine. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is the one thing annoying about this forum at times, and it actually is effecting people's decisions. People with not much experience post (incorrect) facts that they have heard somewhere else, and at times, this makes the person who had a question buy something else that is more expensive just because of misinformation.

@martinrox1568 I also agree. I have never heard this, and it is very hard to believe this information

• 2 weeks later...

i might have missed some words out of it, but i know that mostly the 990fx motherboards have compatibility up to 8 cores on the cpu, i think thats a better way of saying

The budget boards (970) are just that, budget. You do get what you pay for.

Will the 970 boards support 8320 and 8350s? Yes

The socket is rated to 140W which has been argued the higher end of TDP for a stock 8350 instead of 125W.

If you look at the scaling between the 8350 and the 9590 in terms of CPU Vcore and TDP you will notice it climbs very rapidly going from 125W(1.375V) to 219W(1.50V).

So the 970 boards will run the FX 8 series in stock form just fine. The issue remains when voltage is increase for overclocking and you are now putting 175-200W through components that wasn't meant to handle that. Some of the boards even have a much lower voltage limit.

So realistic expectations of the 970 boards will obviously vary but you can expect to achieve an OC for an 8320 from 4.0-4.4 and an OC for a 8350 from 4.2-4.6. This is given voltage at 1.45 volts.

Now to circle back to the topic. 

If this is grandpa's computer then the budget stuff will be just fine for a long time. If this is a gaming rig and you think you may one day decide to play around with overclocking then you want and need a 990FX board. The difference will be about 30-40 dollars but will most likely give you better power regulation, Northbridge and VRM cooling, updated BIOs and drivers, and a higher OC(provided silicon lottery).