Twitch.tv Streams. 1080p and 30FPS? Or 720p and 60 FPS?

DoubleY

I have been livestreaming for while now and I have always streamed in 720p and 60fps. If you had the option, would you choose 1080p and 30FPS? Or 720p and 60 FPS?

When watching video, the more pixels the better, as long as there's an appropriate bitrate.

Cheers,

Linus

720p 60.....most ppl dont have fast enough enterwebz for 1080p

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

When watching video, the more pixels the better, as long as there's an appropriate bitrate.

I use a bitrate of 3500. Twitch doesn't recommend that I go above that, even though my internet can handle it.

A lot of people aren't able to watch 1080p streams so you're probably better off sticking with 720p60fps. It also provides a smoother stream in my opinion.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro

720p 60fps is pretty much same size as 1080p 30fps

yeah, but if it's 720p then with a worse internet you'll stay above 30 while 1080p would make you stutter. I have a 60Mb/s download and I still stutter because twitch is utter crap. Also, most of the time I don't have a stream in full screen so 720p is more than enough for me.

For a non-partnered channel, I wouldn't even stream at that. I feel you will gain and keep a larger audience retention streaming at 612p. It's fine if you have the horsepower to stream at those qualities, but lots of people watch streams on their phones and what not, they don't have the internet to watch comfortably. And many many people (me) still have problems on Twitch whereby I am unable to comfortably watch a 720, 60fps stream on Source quality with 30 Mb down. I think Twitch's servers really need an upgrade, don't know if anyone else living in UK experiences this too.

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Just stream at 720p / 40 FPS. Smooth enough, requires less CPU power to encode and leaves higher quality frames. Flash is shite with 60 FPS anyway.

I will try streaming later tonight at 45FPS, I will see how it looks. And maybe I can make the x264 preset higher :)

720p 60.....most ppl dont have fast enough enterwebz for 1080p

Have you forgot Europe? Most have over ten Mbit and that just fine for 1080p.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Have you forgot Europe? Most have over ten Mbit and that just fine for 1080p.

You have to take in account the Americans. (me included)

If you look at the average for Americans 1080p is somewhat feasible, but take in ISP throttle and how many devices are connected and using data at the same time. Then you have problems. I'm supposed to be getting 25mb/s down 2mb/s up but during the time that people start to get home from there jobs and school the ISP take a huge hit, and to keep connections they throttle.

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

You have to take in account the Americans. (me included)

If you look at the average for Americans 1080p is somewhat feasible, but take in ISP throttle and how many devices are connected and using data at the same time. Then you have problems. I'm supposed to be getting 25mb/s down 2mb/s up but during the time that people start to get home from there jobs and school the ISP take a huge hit, and to keep connections they throttle.

yeah yeah, but still broadband speeds are rising and the areas with old copper or *gasp* dial up are getting fibre

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!