Windows 8 Bootable USB "A media driver your computer needs is missing."

Go to solution Solved by guas5373,

Also, try using the official usb tool from microsoft. It says windows 7, but I've used it multiple times to make a windows 8 bootable usb.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&pbPage=Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

I have just recently built a new gaming rig, and have been staring at my computer for three days with NO idea on what is wrong.

I want to download Windows 8 on my computer from USB. I used rufus to make the USB bootable. I set the priority to my usb. (i hve no dvd drive, only an HDD and the USB). It loads the windows, I click install, then it says this:

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now. 

Note: If the installation media for Windows in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

What is going wrong here?

I am using USB three ports right now if that has anything to do with it. My mobo is a MSI z87-g45 if this helps also.

Please help, I really want to get started with my PC :(

Try a USB 2 port (back of motherboard)

If that doesn't work, format the USB stick and re-make the boot drive doing this:

1.  Open command prompt (run as admin)

2.  type "diskpart" and hit enter

3.  type "list disk" and hit enter, you will be able to see by the size column which one is your usb stick

4.  Say its disk 2, type "select disk 2" and hit enter

5.  Wipe it by typing "clean" and hit enter

6.  When thats done type "create partition primary" hit enter

7.  type "select partition 1" and hit enter

8.  type "active" and hit enter

9.  type "format fs=fat32" and hit enter and let it run.

10.  type "assign" and hit enter

11.  copy all the files onto the usb drive.

Or using http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=html&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&pbPage=Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool if you have an ISO.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I will try these. Btw, I have an iso file for the windows, and have tried plugging it in the back of the mobo and on the usb 3

I will try these. Btw, I have an iso file for the windows, and have tried plugging it in the back of the mobo and on the usb 3

Yes, use the official windows tool and it will format your usb and load the iso file onto it. Then, in your bios, after inserting the usb drive, select it to be booted from first.

Yes, use the official windows tool and it will format your usb and load the iso file onto it. Then, in your bios, after inserting the usb drive, select it to be booted from first.

Ok. I used this before: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Could this be the problem? Also, I always selected boot from the usb

Ok. I used this before: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Could this be the problem? Also, I always selected boot from the usb

I don't know. It's just that i've always used the official one to make bootable window usbs and have never had an issue like this.

I don't know. It's just that i've always used the official one to make bootable window usbs and have never had an issue like this.

The official one sucks universal usb installer is sooo much better.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

The official one sucks universal usb installer is sooo much better.

Yea, I've used it for linux distros, but have exclusively used the microsoft usb tool for windows isos.

• 2 weeks later...