Want to start coding..

Prophet_M
Go to solution Solved by VAkena,

Hey guys and gals, I've been wanting to get into coding for quite sometime now, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some ideas that can help me get started or what programs to use? Thanks y'all

I've been using Microsoft's Virtual Academy for a while but then I turned to PluralSight. I've linked some websites that introduce people to computer programming pretty well.

Microsoft Virtual Academy: https://mva.microsoft.com/

PluralSight:https://www.pluralsight.com/

Codecademy: https://www.codecademy.com/

Hour of Code: https://code.org/learn

Hey guys and gals, I've been wanting to get into coding for quite sometime now, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some ideas that can help me get started or what programs to use? Thanks y'all

I've been using Microsoft's Virtual Academy for a while but then I turned to PluralSight. I've linked some websites that introduce people to computer programming pretty well.

Microsoft Virtual Academy: https://mva.microsoft.com/

PluralSight:https://www.pluralsight.com/

Codecademy: https://www.codecademy.com/

Hour of Code: https://code.org/learn

For a full list of resources in this section: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/301263-ultimate-programming-resources-thread/

For me, I began coding on Codecademy to get a feel for it. Then I downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio and did their C# course on MVA, which is here: https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-8295

Ruby Rails, Java, Lua, HTML5, are good one's to start with

I'd say start with C#, is not too hard to learn as a first language and it's really flexible.

C# or HTML with JS are nice language to learn. If you use Microsofts Visual Studio you can actually build HTML in the C# section of the program which is nice

Python or Ruby for easy to use, general purpose, high-level, extremely versatile programming languages that are quick to pick up and write code in.  C++ or Java for some industry standards that have lots of support, huge numbers of people using them, and pretty good performance, and lower-level programming (meaning, for you: you spend more time writing and debugging, but code runs much faster).

It really depends what you want to do with coding.  Write programs and software?  Definitely C++/C#/etc.  Do data management, simulation, analysis, and more numeric/scientific-oriented stuff?  I'd recommend Python for ease of use and support.  Just generally have experience with writing code, with no specific end goal?  Python/Ruby are great, fast (to learn and write code in), and easy, while C++/Java/etc are a bit more difficult to learn and write code in (when you're starting out), but give you a lot more experience working with more fundamental programming concepts.

Of course, there's always good-old C if you want to rip your hair out over compiler errors, which are often cryptic and make no sense to people learning the language.

Python or Ruby for easy to use, general purpose, high-level, extremely versatile programming languages that are quick to pick up and write code in.  C++ or Java for some industry standards that have lots of support, huge numbers of people using them, and pretty good performance, and lower-level programming (meaning, for you: you spend more time writing and debugging, but code runs much faster).

It really depends what you want to do with coding.  Write programs and software?  Definitely C++/C#/etc.  Do data management, simulation, analysis, and more numeric/scientific-oriented stuff?  I'd recommend Python for ease of use and support.  Just generally have experience with writing code, with no specific end goal?  Python/Ruby are great, fast (to learn and write code in), and easy, while C++/Java/etc are a bit more difficult to learn and write code in (when you're starting out), but give you a lot more experience working with more fundamental programming concepts.

Of course, there's always good-old C if you want to rip your hair out over compiler errors, which are often cryptic and make no sense to people learning the language.

I agree with him, I would recommend you start with python, ruby or java on codeacademy.com, it's really easy to use.

I personally find the easiest way is to download Visual Studio and Google stuff I don't know how to do,. Of course this has its downsides, I'm not very efficient, but if you're making something simple its fine.

If you prefer stuff like lynda.com or sites like that then go ahead. 

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

Ruby Rails, Java, Lua, HTML5, are good one's to start with

html 5 isn't a programming language.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

html 5 isn't a programming language.

It's still part of code in general not programs wise but ASP.NET is and example 

i am learning C++ as my first programming language, it is very capable and not too hard to learn. i use Code:Blocks IDE

i just need more time to learn more

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

i am learning C++ as my first programming language, it is very capable and not too hard to learn. i use Code:Blocks IDE

i just need more time to learn more

If you want to learn more C++, use Visual Studio. 

If you want to learn more C++, use Visual Studio. 

isnt Visual Studio windows only?

i use linux

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

follow your own topic

Yes, You can run VM on linux right?

yes i can but i have never tried to

Popping back in for some specific software recommendations:

• Notepad++ will do you well for just about every programming language out there.  It has syntax highlighting for, well, almost everything, "Run" buttons for a lot of things, and is a pretty simple, easy to use program.  It's Windows-only to the best of my knowledge, but its simplicity and flexibility and so on make it a great tool.
  • If you're on Linux, people have...opinions about what software to use.  Some say Emacs--which has a very odd difficulty curve, but I don't know if it's necessarily a steep one--while others say vi/vim, and those groups have a long history of clashing.  Gedit is a great counterpart to Notepad++, in that it's basically a text editor with syntax highlighting, and it supports a good number of languages for highlighting.  It doesn't have a "run code" button, though.
  • Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is, from what little I've used it, an all-around great IDE with a decent range of supported programming languages.  Syntax highlighting, code inspection, run/compile buttons for some languages right in the editor, etc etc.  And, it's available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  • For Python: Jetbrains' PyCharm IDE, all the way.  It has a lot of features, and while its settings menu is admittedly somewhat baffling at first (you edit the settings for your current project differently from default settings, except when sometimes you don't, and it's not entirely clear which one you're changing if you're not paying attention), it's what I do almost all of my Python in.  It has code folding (temporarily hiding certain lines of code) which is awesome for navigating through code, a built-in console (like Python's default IDLE) for quick testing/prototyping of snippets of code, and just generally has a lot of pretty nice features.  Most of which I have disabled because code autocompletion and automatically closing my parentheses/brackets/quotes bugs the everloving hell out of me.

For Python, I can't recommend Pycharm enough.  For other languages (what admittedly little experience I have with them), I can't make any specific recommendations other than "Visual Studio Code seems pretty good" and "Notepad++/Gedit/text editor of choice is always a solid bet."