Metal Gear Solid V:TPP Questions

Elardoven

I'm new to the MGS series, (picked up TPP in sale) and I have a few questions that I figured you guys might know. I've only gotten to Mission 16, a few missions after unlocking Quiet, so if the answers to my questions is a spoiler, don't tell me. :) I've looked up a couple of story explanations, but I'm still a bit confused.

How does "Punished" Snake relate to the other Snakes? and are all of the other snakes Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and regular Snake? Is Punished Snake the regular Snake, since the regular Snake was awarded the title "Big Boss", and Punished Snake is called Big Boss? Also, I saw that Ocelot apparently died, and was killed by one of the snakes. Was that a different Ocelot than in TPP? Or did they make clones of him like they did Snake?

My Build: i7-4790K, 212 Evo, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel 730 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0, NZXT H440 Blue/Black, EVGA 650W 80+Gold.

Most of the time, it's not the computer, it's the person using it.

http://www.metalgeartimeline.com/

this will help you a lot.  its a bit spoilery, but worth it

EDIT: for reference, TPP is in the middle of the series, so anything before that(its all in order) shouldnt really be a spoiler, just backstory

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I'm new to the MGS series, (picked up TPP in sale) and I have a few questions that I figured you guys might know. I've only gotten to Mission 16, a few missions after unlocking Quiet, so if the answers to my questions is a spoiler, don't tell me. :) I've looked up a couple of story explanations, but I'm still a bit confused.

How does "Punished" Snake relate to the other Snakes? and are all of the other snakes Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and regular Snake? Is Punished Snake the regular Snake, since the regular Snake was awarded the title "Big Boss", and Punished Snake is called Big Boss? Also, I saw that Ocelot apparently died, and was killed by one of the snakes. Was that a different Ocelot than in TPP? Or did they make clones of him like they did Snake?

Ocelot died in 2015/16 at the hands of Solid Snake (or as he was known in MGS4 Old Snake) As you know MGS5 takes place in the 80s

Punished Snake is big boss, Big boss was awarded the title of Big Boss at the end of MGS3 (during MGS3 he was referred to as Simply Snake ...I think I feel like im misremembering, anyways he largely disreguards the title and doesn't like it because of the events of MGS3 where he felt betrayed by his country based on the big reveal of the events of MGS3

Also to put it simply Big Boss is the "father" of Solid Liquid And Solidus (I say father but they were clones of him in an effort to make the perfect soldier )

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

http://www.metalgeartimeline.com/

this will help you a lot.  its a bit spoilery, but worth it

EDIT: for reference, TPP is in the middle of the series, so anything before that(its all in order) shouldnt really be a spoiler, just backstory

Thanks, seems like it will help alot. I didn't fully understand how the different games came together and which ones happened when. Now just gotta find some free time to read this whole thing!

Ocelot died in 2015/16 at the hands of Solid Snake (or as he was known in MGS4 Old Snake) As you know MGS5 takes place in the 80s

Punished Snake is big boss, Big boss was awarded the title of Big Boss at the end of MGS3 (during MGS3 he was referred to as Simply Snake ...I think I feel like im misremembering, anyways he largely disreguards the title and doesn't like it because of the events of MGS3 where he felt betrayed by his country based on the big reveal of the events of MGS3

Thanks!

My Build: i7-4790K, 212 Evo, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel 730 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0, NZXT H440 Blue/Black, EVGA 650W 80+Gold.

Thanks, seems like it will help alot. I didn't fully understand how the different games came together and which ones happened when. Now just gotta find some free time to read this whole thing!

Thanks!

I made some edits to better explain things.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

its worth the read. really interesting.  and honestly, i dont think even Kojima fully understands how it all goes together, none of it makes any sense

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Thanks!

id also be careful with the time line, id only read up to the events of Ground Zeros because things will IMMEDIATELY get spoilery if you start reading past MGS5s point in the time line.

System Specs

its worth the read. really interesting.  and honestly, i dont think even Kojima fully understands how it all goes together, none of it makes any sense

All makes perfect sense to me..always has.

System Specs

id also be careful with the time line, id only read up to the events of Ground Zeros because things will IMMEDIATELY get spoilery if you start reading past MGS5s point in the time line.

yea it gets very spoilery very fast once you actually get to the game itself.

as soon as it gets to TPP, stop.  (although you could skip it and go onto the other games and probably be ok)

|Specs in profile|

Punished or Venom Snake , also called Big  Boss , was once the leader of the Patriots, along with Major Zero. Major Zero secretly starts a project called Les Enfants Terrible with the goal to create clones of the greatest soldier of all time, Big Boss. The twin brothers Liquid Snake and Solid Snake are born. They are considered imperfect clones. A third, perfect, clone is produced: Solidus Snake. Big Boss eventually finds out about this project, which culminates in his total outrage , he leaves the Patriots , which is renamed into Cipher, and he starts his own PMC : Militaires Sans Frontieres.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

as soon as it gets to TPP, stop.  (although you could skip it and go onto the other games and probably be ok)

I doubt it, the twist in 5 probably immediately comes in in the 90s during the events of the 1st Metal Gear

System Specs

Punished or Venom Snake , also called Big  Boss , was once the leader of the Patriots, along with Major Zero. Major Zero secretly starts a project called Les Enfants Terrible with the goal to create clones of the greatest soldier of all time, Big Boss. The twin brothers Liquid Snake and Solid Snake are born. They are considered imperfect clones. A third, perfect, clone is produced: Solidus Snake. Big Boss eventually finds out about this project, which culminates in his total outrage , he leaves the Patriots , which is renamed into Cipher, and he starts his own PMC : Militaires Sans Frontieres.

Omg, so the company he used to work for, Cipher, who used to be the patriots, is the people who are constantly bugging him in TPP? Like the skulls?

Ya if you read into the events of Metal Gear it does get spoilery about events of MGS5

System Specs

Omg, so the company he used to work for, Cipher, who used to be the patriots, is the people who are constantly bugging him in TPP? Like the skulls?

kinda..the skulls are apart of XOF a former "clean up crew" of Fox, the unit Snake was apart of in MGS3. XOF eventually split from Fox (probably due to the formation of the patriots since their was no need for them anymore) and in 5 XOF wants the former commander of Fox, Big boss is hoping for this as well but they have diffrent means to the goal, thus why they are at odds during MGS5

System Specs

I'm new to the MGS series, (

Honestly, I would try and play the whole series :D probably a few times to really get the story (and by really get, I mean, sort of maybe kinda get)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii