Recycled Laptop Super-Monitor DIY

Sans the long explanation, I'll likely have access to several unwanted, defunct and/or partially stripped/broken laptops (hp Elitebook 2170p) and my plan for the summer is to remove and attach several screens into a huge monitor. Think iMax but terrible.

To anyone with any hardware knowledge, is this a viable idea, is this a stupid concept, and what would I have to do to get them all attached?

If somehow this is a bad thread, don't hate me I'm new. :D

If you don't have any hardware knowledge, then there's no way you'll be able to do this yourself. Because laptop screens don't have standard connections (HDMI, VGA, etc.), you'd have to solder wires and know exactly what you're doing, plus the fact that laptop screens are powered by the laptop itself, and you'd have to find a way to power them. Even then, it's not even a sure shot it would work at all. So yeah, it's basically a stupid concept.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Sounds like a nice side project...

Determine the pinouts first... iirc, there's a standard for the connectors...

you'll either need to make a laptop internal connector -> HDMI/DP adapter for them and combine the displays using something like Eyefinity...

or

find a controller for the multiple screens... which is not cheap as they are more commonly used in commercial and industrial applications...

Sans the long explanation, I'll likely have access to several unwanted, defunct and/or partially stripped/broken laptops (hp Elitebook 2170p) and my plan for the summer is to remove and attach several screens into a huge monitor. Think iMax but terrible.

To anyone with any hardware knowledge, is this a viable idea, is this a stupid concept, and what would I have to do to get them all attached?

If somehow this is a bad thread, don't hate me I'm new. :D

It's not really sensible. the connectors for the panels are very different to a standard external monitor. 

If all the laptops are the same then you may be able to salvage enough parts to build a couple of working machines.

You can buy china-made controllers from ebay. Anyone can turn laptop screen to desktop screen with those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Moved to Case Modding and Other Mods.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch