What are problems you have had with nvidia cards when setting up F@H?

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking of doing a set of tutorial videos for setting up folding at home, and and how to solve common problems, such as driver issues and getting settings correct. there aren't really any videos covering this, only forums, etc. and I think that would have been a useful resource for me when I was getting started. I have been contributed to various distributed computing projects for almost 6 years now, and have used several 600, 700 and 900 series nvidia cards, so I would like to think hat I can contribute something. So... what are some problems you guys have had when trying to get going, so that I can include a variety of things. when you reply, please comment with what card you have, and the specific issue that you fixed/still have.

Thanks!!

-Tinkerfan

The problems I had while I just started folding (4 days ago):

- How to stop my CPU from auto folding as well. (Removing it from the folding list in the advanced view)

- How to not auto start a new WU after the current one is finished. (Just pressing the "finish" button) 

- How to not auto start folding as soon as you boot your PC

All stupid problems and easy fixes but you have to know where to find them. (Not really Nvidia related but I thought that might look good in your video as a "basic start to folding")

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

The 405 / 540 mhz bug. When cosmic rays hit your PC, the driver will stuck itself in those clocks, losing the ability to enter the proper state and do actual processing (well, it still works, but it's reaaaaally slow).

To fix it, simply reset the drivers. Naturally, rebooting the PC or going into device manager and manually disabling / enabling it works, but there are easier ways. For example, if there happens to be a new driver version, you might as well just update now, as it'll reset anyway. Or, for a quick reboot, I just use GPU Z and press the "extrac Bios" button - you don't even need to save the file, just the extract process alone is enough to reboot for you.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!