Problems with new ROG SWIFT PG279Q - Beware!

Shepanator

Hi, I picked up my shiny new PG279Q a few days ago and I thought I'd share a couple of problems I've been having

First, when changing from HDMI input to DisplayPort input sometimes the display becomes filled with vertical lines, every other vertical line of pixels is offset by a small amount, making the monitor unusable. The problem usually fixes itself after a couple of monitor reboots/pc reboots, but its really annoying nonetheless. It's definitely not a GPU issue.

Second, the audio pass-through on the monitor adds audible interference. My speaker setup has 1 input coming directly from the back panel of my pc, but to get audio from my ps4 to the speakers I have to use the pass-through on the monitor. It seems to come from the LEDs in the base of the monitor. When the lights are on it adds a faint drone to the audio, which isn't too noticeable if the speakers aren't turned up too much. But when you put the monitor in standby the lights begin to pulse, making the pitch of the interference change with the pulsing of the LEDs, a very obnoxious noise. Even turning the lights off altogether doesn't completely eliminate the noise, probably because the headphone jack on the monitor is directly next to the power input. Not the most thoughtful design.

Other than that the monitor is working very well, my unit has almost no visible backlight bleed on a black screen and using the optimal settings from TFT Central's review creates a very pleasing image with no detectable motion blur. The 165Hz overclock works great. (manage to maintain almost constant 165Hz in Alien Isolation with a 6700k and a 980ti, such a well optimised game)

The problems I mentioned only apply if you're actually going to be using both inputs and the audio pass-through, and they're only minor annoyances anyway. Hope this helps anybody on the fence about buying one.

How much did you pay for yours?

I'm a British expat living in the Czech Republic, I paid 22,990 CZK. Link

That is just over £600 in real money or roughly $915. Bear in mind European prices have tax included

Alright, thanks, and thank you for taking the time to write this out.

I'm considering on getting the:  ASUS PG348Q or.. less likely the: ROG SWIFT PG279Q

The PG348Q would have been my first choice too but the extra price put me off, plus my desk isn't big enough!