How do I know if I am overloading the VRMs or not?

Go to solution Solved by 0x1e,

And there in lies a big problem. My motherboard does not give me any options to change voltages. I think that either i am going to have to upgrade or find a working lga 775 motherboard.

I personally would save up for a new system.

You will most likely only get a few extra Mhz from the CPU. I had a Q9400. Stock 2.66Ghz and was only able to get 3.4Ghz before I hit "unsafe" voltage. That was also with an overclocking board. Asus Striker II extreme.

Hey Guys.

I am looking to get more performance out of my system bu overclocking the CPU because my system is very old and I currently don't have enough money to buy upgrades yet.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad q9550 (non oc) tried to overclock it but my PC Blue Screens randomly during tasks.

Motherboard: MSI ms-7529 ver1.1 - link: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G31M3F_V2_3_Audio_Ports.html#hero-overview

Memory: 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz (non oc) when I try and overclock the CPU I always lower the Memory speed to be as close to 800MHz as possible without going over.

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 750 Ti (250 MHz core overclock and 50MHz memory overclock).

Storage: 2 x 3TB Seagate Enterprise 7200rpm. (windows can only see 2TB of the 3TB HDD because my motherboard is so old.)

PSU: EZCOOL 450W (this this is very old and still works)

Monitor: Samsung S20D300 1600x900 16:9

Now I know my system is very old for late 2015 (we bought most of the hardware in or around 2010) and like i said before, I am trying to get more performance out of it.

There in lies the problem. Whenever I up my CPU base clock by even as little as 1MHz my computer blue screens at a random, and when I restore the baseclock back to default of 333MHz, my PC no longer bluescreens.

So, any idea?

Yea, OC'ing the baseclock is a difficult thing to do stably. Im no expert on OCing, especially not with the Core2 days since that predates the time that I was into that scene, but I dont think that you will have much luck.

One thing that I think i recall someone saying is that if you are OCing the bclk, you have to OC the ram too because they are tied. I could be wrong tho...

When in doubt, re-format.

Yea, OC'ing the baseclock is a difficult thing to do stably. Im no expert on OCing, especially not with the Core2 days since that predates the time that I was into that scene, but I dont think that you will have much luck.

One thing that I think i recall someone saying is that if you are OCing the bclk, you have to OC the ram too because they are tied. I could be wrong tho...

Thanks for the replay.

From what I have googled, it is a bad idea to push tis old, non OC RAM beyond its speed.

The QC2 CPUs were hard to OC, especially if you got a dud chip.

You're overclocking the northbridge, so not only do you need to take into account the voltage and temps of the cpu, but also for the northbridge. And ofcourse the ram as well, which you've mentioned you already are.

Turning off any power savings like C1E would also help.

It's not a race to the bottom.

The QC2 CPUs were hard to OC, especially if you got a dud chip.

You're overclocking the northbridge, so not only do you need to take into account the voltage and temps of the cpu, but also for the northbridge. And ofcourse the ram as well, which you've mentioned you already are.

Turning off any power savings like C1E would also help.

And there in lies a big problem. My motherboard does not give me any options to change voltages. I think that either i am going to have to upgrade or find a working lga 775 motherboard.

You will most likely only get a few extra Mhz from the CPU. I had a Q9400. Stock 2.66Ghz and was only able to get 3.4Ghz before I hit "unsafe" voltage. That was also with an overclocking board. Asus Striker II extreme.

It's not a race to the bottom.

wow. my board is crap. thanks for the advice. :)