Flashing to an older BIOS

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

It can be very problematic in some situations. It can brick a board.

I'd suggest you contact Asus support and ask them if it's OK or not. It might be they've identified the issue already and can give you a beta BIOS to solve your problem.

Always remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Follow your topics too :)

Hello,Ive been having some problems with my M5A97 R2.0 since I updated to the newest vesrion of the BIOS,without any problems I might add,and when I try to access my AI Tweaker the BIOS just freezes up...Can I flash my BIOS to an older version?I have a friend hp had the same motherboard,did this,and it worked...Just want to double check,you can never be too sure with BIOSes...

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

I'd suggest you contact Asus support and ask them if it's OK or not. It might be they've identified the issue already and can give you a beta BIOS to solve your problem.

Follow your topics too :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Already in contact with them,they told me to reset the BIOS,but that can be a slight pain too,guy on the phone said that if I dont wan tto do that I might have to wait for a new version of the BIOS to pop up...And Ive been having some probs with performance and RAM,and Ive been told to update...Anyways thanks!

EDIT:About the follow topic thing,I usually just open them on a tab on my 2nd screen and manually refresh them when I want,its lazyness but whatev :P

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

Already in contact with them,they told me to reset the BIOS,but that can be a slight pain too,guy on the phone said that if I dont wan tto do that I might have to wait for a new version of the BIOS to pop up...And Ive been having some probs with performance and RAM,and Ive been told to update...Anyways thanks!

EDIT:About the follow topic thing,I usually just open them on a tab on my 2nd screen and manually refresh them when I want,its lazyness but whatev :P

Does your board have dual BIOS support?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have an ASUS p8z77 vl-k mobo that I have flashed and re-flashed many times both in the forward and backwards direction without any problems. This is by no means saying that you wont run into issiues, but I have had no problems with mine...

When in doubt, re-format.

The only problem that can arise is if you flash with a BIOS that predates the microcode for the cpu. Otherwise flashing back and forth won't really cause an issue.

Now that being said I ran into a Z87-A that faught with me for over four hours. Wouldn't accept any BIOS updates through the actual BIOS. I had to update through the windows utility in order for it to take properly.

Very bizarre.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Just a heads up,ASUS informed me they are going to be emailing my a  Bupdater version that will allow me to Flash the previous BIOS version.So,thats that...