Well this is weird?

Statecat
Go to solution Solved by Statecat,

Unfortunately no one on here answered my question really. I am just going to assume functionality with G-sync is buggy when it comes to Bioshock 2. I will only save when I really need to and just alt+tab out then into the game to fix it.

Okay so I just got a RMA video card because the previous thing was having issues. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 with a new motherboard the Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1. So I am testing this in Bioshock 2 because it is currently the only game I have downloaded. For some reason... Whenever I save in game the FPS drops and stays dropped from 144 FPS down to 90-100 FPS. I am currently running a Zotac 980 Ti Amp extreme. I monitored this with GPU-Z after alt+tabbing out of the game And noticed the card clocks down from 1253 mhz to 1000 something mhz. But then when I go back in game the FPS goes back up to 144... What is this? At first I thought I was having issues with G-sync because before I was having issues with the game running at a ridiculous 300 FPS. Now G-sync is working but I am faced with this problem. V-sync also automatically turns on in the in game settings every time I enter the game. Even after turning it off various times it still turns on.

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Okay so I just got a RMA video card because the previous thing was having issues. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 with a new motherboard the Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1. So I am testing this in Bioshock 2 because it is currently the only game I have downloaded. For some reason... Whenever I save in game the FPS drops and stays dropped from 144 FPS down to 90-100 FPS. I am currently running a Zotac 980 Ti Amp extreme. I monitored this with GPU-Z after alt+tabbing out of the game And noticed the card clocks down from 1253 mhz to 1000 something mhz. But then when I go back in game the FPS goes back up to 144... What is this? At first I thought I was having issues with G-sync because before I was having issues with the game running at a ridiculous 300 FPS. Now G-sync is working but I am faced with this problem. V-sync also automatically turns on in the in game settings every time I enter the game. Even after turning it off various times it still turns on.

It might be worth trying other games.  That sounds like it could be a specific issue; a lot of games do strange things, changing their performance before or after an alt-tab, menu opening, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

G-sync acts like V-sync in your case.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It might be worth trying other games. That sounds like it could be a specific issue; a lot of games do strange things, changing their performance before or after an alt-tab, menu opening, etc.

Yeah definitely. I'm going to keep an eye on things. I've been plagued with a lot of issues lately. Thanks for the reply. (:

G-sync acts like V-sync in your case.

What do you mean?

Can you not keep the card pinned at it's max boost clock with some software, I know EVGA precision X lets me keep mine at max under all conditions.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

What do you mean?

G-sync is pointless in your case since you get fps way above what your monitor can output. Sorry.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 - Sell 980Ti, Sell G-sync monitor

2 - Buy 2x R9 390X

3 - Buy an Acer Predator XR341CK

4 - ??????

5 - Problems solved!

I don't think that's necessarily the most reasonable first step in troubleshooting this.  Maybe if nothing else works, but I think there may still be other options :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't think that's necessarily the most reasonable first step in troubleshooting this.  Maybe if nothing else works, but I think there may still be other options :)

waaaaa?

that is completely reasonable.

if you have a problem, trouble shoot (he has done this)

if problem persist, RMA (he has done this)

if problem persist, get rid of the shit and go for option B

waaaaa?

Can't argue here :D

G-sync is pointless in your case since you get fps way above what your monitor can output. Sorry.

My monitor is a 144 hz monitor. The game was running at 144 FPS.

waaaaa?

Hahahaha the guys I bought the graphics card from refuse to give me a refund so I need this fixed.

1 - Sell 980Ti, Sell G-sync monitor

2 - Buy 2x R9 390X

3 - Buy an Acer Predator XR341CK

4 - ??????

5 - Problems solved!

The XR34 is one beast of a monitor. But unfortunately that isn't within reason here because I can't get a refund for my card. Only replacements. Haha.

My monitor is a 144 hz monitor. The game was running at 144 FPS.

Exactly - you are not even using G-sync. The investment is being wasted as you are hitting 144 fps - if you were getting 90 fps then yeah, it could be utilized but G-sync turns into average V-sync when you hit the max refresh rate. Sorry but you wasted a lot of money on that monitor :/

Exactly - you are not even using G-sync. The investment is being wasted as you are hitting 144 fps - if you were getting 90 fps then yeah, it could be utilized but G-sync turns into average V-sync when you hit the max refresh rate. Sorry but you wasted a lot of money on that monitor :/

He's just running Bioshock 2 right now, not exactly an intense game by today's standards.  I'm sure other games make use of the Gsync

Can you not keep the card pinned at it's max boost clock with some software, I know EVGA precision X lets me keep mine at max under all conditions.

Yeah I will probably do that. :P

it's different on the witcher 3. Hahah. Just because the game is 5 years old doesn't mean it is a waste.

Unfortunately no one on here answered my question really. I am just going to assume functionality with G-sync is buggy when it comes to Bioshock 2. I will only save when I really need to and just alt+tab out then into the game to fix it.

Sigh... This forum really is an utter crap shoot when people need genuine help and are met with retarded suggestions. 

After a bit of browsing on my Nvidia panel, you have the ability to have Nvidia control the settings for your games which sounds like the reason as to why v sync keeps tuning on. I forgot what its called something like nvidia experience panel? Just turn all that crap off as you don't need it. I only have a 970 to compare with but I don't let anything on my PC auto set things up so things like NEP is turned off and funnily enough I was playing Bioshock 2 when we moved into the flat but didn't notice any fps drops or overclock drops.

Tl;Dr - Could be nvidia experience panel's setting being "optimized"

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd