What is the best anti-virus software + some questions

yourdad165

So I've always used AVG and I've never had any problems with it and I like how light it is (As in it doesn't use too much CPU and RAM power all the time). However, I uninstalled AVG recently and re-installed it and now when I go to re-install the additional firewall feature it just crashes and I get "Driver installation error."

I've tried using the AVG removal tool and re-installing AVG and it works fine, but it just won't let me install the firewall feature. Which brings me to my next question, do I even need AVG to manage my firewall? Or is computer protection enough as it is? Would Windows firewall be enough as well?

Then my last question, What is the best anti-virus? I want something lightweight and similar to AVG that doesn't harass me too much but gets the job done.

Thanks in advance. 

Unless you are doing some wierd shit the standard win firewall should be good enough for most people. I personally use Kaspersky and love it although it can be a bit paranoid at times but error on the side of caution is ok with me. I put bitdefender on my wifes laptop and after messing with it a few months I like that also. If I had to pick one I would go with kaspersky but the cheaper option might be the best option since they are very similar as far as what I like about them. 

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much. This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

Do not get Avast!, as it is complete shit. Go to this link to find out why.

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

I use norton internet security on my main rig. never had any problems with it except the following:

1. heavy on resources at times

2. takes time to respond when opening app.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I use Avast free Antivirus with malwarebytes antimalware free edition for excellent protection.

That page is a security threat. my antivirus blocked it from loading.

That is my point exactly.

Windows Defender is enough if you don't go galavanting into unknown websites.  Kaspersky is slow slow slow! Norton is practically spyware now.  Also Kaspersky has been known to introduce even MORE security flaws when installed.

Malware-Bytes for your malware, and Defender for your AV.  Has worked for me for the better part of a decade with 0 viruses and/or malware.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If you're ready to pay I can't recommend anything except NOD32. You don't even notice it exists while it works in the background. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much.

i agree, i see at least 3-4 threads per week, just in this sub alone. it needs to get stickied.

personally i use ESET Smart Security (little excessive), nod32 is perfect though. if you feel like paying its your best option.

as far as free stuff goes, people seem to love avg and avast(i hate them both).  windows built in antivirus is good enough. for most people as long as you arent clicking on stupid shit. and downloading from super sketchy places.

If you're ready to pay I can't recommend anything except NOD32. You don't even notice it exists while it works in the background. 

i remember back when nod32 actually had a free version.  it barely even had a ui, tiniest little program ever! caught everything, scanning didnt take hours like everything else around, and barely touched system resources unless it was actively scanning, and even then it wasnt noticeable.  ive always loved them

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

i agree, i see at least 3-4 threads per week, just in this sub alone. it needs to get stickied.

personally i use ESET Smart Security (little excessive), nod32 is perfect though. if you feel like paying its your best option.

as far as free stuff goes, people seem to love avg and avast(i hate them both).  windows built in antivirus is good enough. for most people as long as you arent clicking on stupid shit. and downloading from super sketchy places.

i remember back when nod32 actually had a free version.  it barely even had a ui, tiniest little program ever! caught everything, scanning didnt take hours like everything else around, and barely touched system resources unless it was actively scanning, and even then it wasnt noticeable.  ive always loved them

I don't think you should buy AV, because most free AV perform same exact as paid AV except the paid AV you get more candy features. Personally, i recommend Panda Free AV, Avira Free AV, Avast Free AV, AVG Free AV, Qihoo 360 Total Security, and Bitdefender Free AV. But if you are going to choose Bitdefender Free AV then prepare automatically deletion on files that are false positive. Also, i'm currently using Qihoo 360 Total Security and i can say this AV is super duper light because it only use 30MB - 45MB RAM and scanning is 50MB - 60MB RAM. 

Not a free option, but I've been using Norton Internet Security for years now without issue.  It has a reputation for being a system hog and having a slow app where you tweak all your settings, and I definitely remember versions from a few years ago being really bad on both fronts, but the current version I'm using doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as it used to.  And, you can always flip a few settings to minimize its resource hoggage, except for when it's doing a full system scan, but that probably shouldn't be too surprising.  Even than, it isn't too bad for me, although full scans can take a very long time to run.  But I've had a very good experience with it overall.  That said: it's $60/year, which can be a big deal breaker for a lot of people (especially when there are free, good antivirus programs out there), and there's sort of a running gag about how incredibly hard it is to uninstall, but I think that last bit is true of most antivirus programs.  But anyways, Norton is what I use, and I can vouch for it being quite good even when I accidentally do a dumb thing and click a "download" link I shouldn't (it usually stops me, or scans the downloaded file and quarantines it).  I've also had to contact their customer service people a few times (not many, fortunately), and they've always been very quick and helpful.

But again, $60/year is a deal breaker for a lot of people.  I admit I've mostly stuck with it because I'm quite familiar with how it works and how to deal with it at this point, and because I'm in the situation of "well, I've just always used Norton".  So don't jump on it just because I've had a good experience.

A lot of people will say a lot of very good things (some of them in this topic!) about Microsoft's own security software if you're on windows (Windows Defender, and Microsoft Security Essentials if you on Windows 7--similar functionality is built in to 8 and I believe 10), but I don't know enough specifically to say.

A few people have mentioned Malwarebytes, which you should download and use as an on-demand scanner regardless of what antivirus/firewall you end up using.  It's geared at finding things like zero-day exploits, new threats (that aren't in the definition databases for people like Symantec (who makes Norton)), and "potentially unwanted programs"--programs that might not be malicious, but that also just don't do anything useful other than slow your system down and maybe send you ads.  Contrast this with something like Norton that has a large database of known threats, and uses that to check things on your system for maliciousness.