HDD doesn't get Recognized/Detected

OSBK
Go to solution Solved by multifrag,

can i buy the board from the net or i must take it to a repair shop

I'm not to sure about this, but my memory same HDD version can use different boards so be careful in choosing one. Just google it

hey guys, i have an extra 1Tb seagate hdd it use to work normaly but when used it with a SATA to USB bridge for about 3 or 4 days it doesn't get recognized by the pc any more even with normal SATA inside the case, the hdd is spinning normaly but neither the bios or the os can detect it. any suggestions ??

Did you check Disk Manager? 

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Did you check Disk Manager? 

i dont think it's a software problem cause even the bios doesn't detect the drive

i dont think it's a software problem cause even the bios doesn't detect the drive

Did you try to connect to another pc? Might be the HDD board is defective, but could be a silly thing as sata cable, drivers(not likely) or sata connection on mobo

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Did you try to connect to another pc? Might be the HDD board is defective, but could be a silly thing as sata cable, drivers(not likely) or sata connection on mobo

i tried all of those but no results. i think that the motherboard of the hdd is damaged(i hope not) but what blows my mind that the drive is spinning normaly.

i tried all of those but no results. i think that the motherboard of the hdd is damaged(i hope not) but what blows my mind that the drive is spinning normaly.

Yeah it's a bummer. It is repairable if it is only the board. If the data inside is worth it

Yeah it's a bummer. It is repairable if it is only the board. If the data inside is worth it

I'm not to sure about this, but my memory same HDD version can use different boards so be careful in choosing one. Just google it

i found the same pcb that my hdd use it's going to cost me about 59$. there's none else to do !! :P thanks very much

i found the same pcb that my hdd use it's going to cost me about 59$. there's none else to do !! :P thanks very much

Wow, that a lot for just the pcb

hey guys, i have an extra 1Tb seagate hdd it use to work normaly but when used it with a SATA to USB bridge for about 3 or 4 days it doesn't get recognized by the pc any more even with normal SATA inside the case, the hdd is spinning normaly but neither the bios or the os can detect it. any suggestions ??

Hey there Remon,

If the drive is not recognized at all in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management on multiple computers, it must have failed. I'd first check what is the reason for that before considering swapping the PCB or changing something in the drive. I'd also check if the drive is still under warranty. Do try to check in Linux Live CD sees the drive. It's also a good idea to contact the manufacturer's support for some advice. 
Are there any clicking sounds or something else that the drive does out of the ordinary? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Remon,

If the drive is not recognized at all in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management on multiple computers, it must have failed. I'd first check what is the reason for that before considering swapping the PCB or changing something in the drive. I'd also check if the drive is still under warranty. Do try to check in Linux Live CD sees the drive. It's also a good idea to contact the manufacturer's support for some advice. 
Are there any clicking sounds or something else that the drive does out of the ordinary? 

Captain_WD.

thanks for the assist. i did buy that pcb and i give the hdd and it's pcb to a reapair shop, look like that the problem were in the SATA connector of the hdd, and after changing to the new pcb it worked like new. it did cost me some money but the data are more important.

thanks for the assist. i did buy that pcb and i give the hdd and it's pcb to a reapair shop, look like that the problem were in the SATA connector of the hdd, and after changing to the new pcb it worked like new. it did cost me some money but the data are more important.

Great to hear that. If you can provide a step-by-step explanation with photos or something like that, it could be very useful for other people with similar problems. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/