first time pc build; with some problems

choi888

I'm building a pc for the first time i got the parts all ready but couldnt wait for my new CPU to come in so i decided to try it out with new parts and my old cpu.

the mother board said its a compatible CPU for it so i thought it would be fine.

the motherboard light comes on so does the gpu light, i can short the 24pin connector to get the fans on,

but the cpu i guess wont post, and the power button does nothing same with reset. however the fan control buttons beside the power button are working when i short the connector to give it power.

i'm using a Z97-E usb 3.1 motherboard from ASUS

Geforce GTX 960 strix gpu

8gb Hyperx fury ram

Corsair RM750 power

Thermaltake Core V71 case

seagate 1tb HDD

and a pentium 2.93ghz cpu, im waiting to get the I7-4790k devils canyon cpu next week

i just have a stock intel cpu fan on right now till i get a better one.

Ive watched a lot of videos and i thought i read the motherboard booklet well enough but i cant get it to power on.

is there any steps i should take to figure out whats wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

I'm building a pc for the first time i got the parts all ready but couldnt wait for my new CPU to come in so i decided to try it out with new parts and my old cpu.

the mother board said its a compatible CPU for it so i thought it would be fine.

the motherboard light comes on so does the gpu light, i can short the 24pin connector to get the fans on,

but the cpu i guess wont post, and the power button does nothing same with reset. however the fan control buttons beside the power button are working when i short the connector to give it power.

i'm using a Z97-E usb 3.1 motherboard from ASUS

Geforce GTX 960 strix gpu

8gb Hyperx fury ram

Corsair RM750 power

Thermaltake Core V71 case

seagate 1tb HDD

and a pentium 2.93ghz cpu, im waiting to get the I7-4790k devils canyon cpu next week

i just have a stock intel cpu fan on right now till i get a better one.

Ive watched a lot of videos and i thought i read the motherboard booklet well enough but i cant get it to power on.

is there any steps i should take to figure out whats wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Make sure everything is connected in the write place and is done securely.  Also, why did you spend so much on the mobo when you could have spent that on a better GPU and not to nag but the AMD X4 860K or whatever actually outperforms the pentium just slightly

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

I repluged everthing, made sure all the connectors are secure and now the power button works once, when i press it the all the fans will spin but there is no post,

and once i press either the power button or reset button nothing happens, i tried different ram/gpu and nothing changes, i'm still not sure whats causing the problem.

could the motherboard be bad or possibly something else?