i7 4790 (NON-K) clock problem after swapping into new MOBO

Go to solution Solved by CapricaBuccaneers,

Looks like you have your windows power settings to 'performance' mode.

If you want it to downclock when idle or lesser workloads switch to 'balanced'.

Edit: beyond that download Intel xtu and see what settings your chip is running at.

Hey guys, I just swapped out my H97-Gaming 3 mobo to Z97-Gaming 5 mobo (both Gigabtye) and now my CPU is running at full speed 3999MHz even on idling.

It also produce tonnes of heat while playing Skyrim on SLI (Highest core temp reaches 91 C) which is significantly higher than both of my GTX970 G1 Gaming. (77 c & 72 c respectively) 

And the clock speed went up to ranging 4009~4063MHz which I think it's supposed to be capped at 3999MHz for 4790 non-k CPU

May I know is there anything wrong with my bios or is it normal?

Thanks in advance :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790       Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5       RAM: Crucial Ballistic Tactical Tracer 8x4 (32GB)       GPU: Gigabtye GTX970 G1 Gaming 2-ways SLI

Case: Cooler Master K280        Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120m (Back)        Fans: Noctua NH-F12 PWM x 2  (Front)    PSU: Cooler Master 700W    

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit     Storage#1: Kingston 120gb SSD v300    Storage#2: WD 1TB Blue      Display(s): AOC i2757FH 27 Inch IPS Monitor

some users of giggy boards have reported incorrect CPU voltages (UEFI needs updating).

F7 is the latest update for that version.

either CPU-Z or UEFI investigation is needed to verify your issue a bit more.

some users of giggy boards have reported incorrect CPU voltages (UEFI needs updating).

F7 is the latest update for that version.

either CPU-Z or UEFI investigation is needed to verify your issue a bit more.

Thanks for the info, it was running F5 and just upgraded to F7 now. But now the clock speed went up even higher @ 4102MHz Untitled2_zpsstpbewg0.png

Any idea what is wrong with my processor right now? :( 

FYI: I just reboot my comp and not even running any intense programs except for Google Chrome & CPU-Z

CPU: Intel i7 4790       Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5       RAM: Crucial Ballistic Tactical Tracer 8x4 (32GB)       GPU: Gigabtye GTX970 G1 Gaming 2-ways SLI

Case: Cooler Master K280        Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120m (Back)        Fans: Noctua NH-F12 PWM x 2  (Front)    PSU: Cooler Master 700W    

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit     Storage#1: Kingston 120gb SSD v300    Storage#2: WD 1TB Blue      Display(s): AOC i2757FH 27 Inch IPS Monitor

Edit: beyond that download Intel xtu and see what settings your chip is running at.

LEL.... I feel so embarrassed right now... You are right, it was just the power settings at fault hahaa 

Btw, thank you very very very very much!