messed up RAID configuration after bios update

Go to solution Solved by MartinEyefinity,

I just went on to do some trial and error tests, and found the solution which was way easier than I thought.

When selecting RAID in the BIOS (what was the first thing I did in the first place), I should have disabled an option just below it called something which sounds like SB raid boot ROM. Then it does not try to boot from the RAID setup and then uses the SSD to boot, as it should.

It booted, and my RAID0 configuration from pre-bios update has been used. Didn't have to do anything else, everything works again.

So, if anyone else has the same problem. In the bios, where you have to change it from IDE to RAID, also disable the option just below which looks or sounds a little like SB raid boot ROM (don't remember exactly what it said).

Thanks for trying to help though, guys!

Hello Everyone!

I just updated my bios of the Asus P7P55D E PRO motherboard. I use an SSD as a bootdrive for windows 8.1 64 bit, and 2x500GB hard drives in RAID0 to put games, movies etc on. 

After the update, the computer didnt launch properly (didn't know what to boot). In the BIOS I managed to change it back to boot from the SSD. 

Now, this is how my disks show up at ''Computer'' and ''Disk Management'':

screenshot%20disk.PNG

So, in the BIOS I tried to select RAID again. (at the main screen of bios, choosing between IDE, AHCI and RAID). Unforunately it seems to be including the SSD or something, because it's acting strange - it doesn't know where to boot from anymore: my SSD doesn't show up in the list of choices to boot from. Also, I can't find the more specific settings in the BIOS to select which drive I want. I can't even find where to choose that I want to use RAID0 specifically. 

Clearly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I am glad that I can still use my computer, but I would not like redownloading 350gb worth of movies, series and games. 

So, could anyone explain me how to do this? I looked up the other topics on this forum regarding this issue, but it seems they got it fixed by simply selecting RAID again.

Thanks in advance! :)

Desktop PC. GPU: HD7970 OC/BE, CPU: i5-750, MoBo: P7P55E-pro, HDD: 2x500gb samsung spinpoint F3 in RAID0, 128gb crucial SSD, RAM: 12GB (CL7), Monitors: 3x Dell u2412M
Laptop. Lenovo Yoga 13 (first generation, i5, 8GB, 2x128GB SSD)
Phone. ZTE Axon 7

U lost the RAID. Its RAW so R.I.P. RAID

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

In theory, nothing should have changed on the disks, so a fix should exist.... But how...

Desktop PC. GPU: HD7970 OC/BE, CPU: i5-750, MoBo: P7P55E-pro, HDD: 2x500gb samsung spinpoint F3 in RAID0, 128gb crucial SSD, RAM: 12GB (CL7), Monitors: 3x Dell u2412M
Phone. ZTE Axon 7

In most raid configs, you set RAID in BIOS then reboot and get a combi press, e.g. ctrl+s or ctrl+h to enter the Raid settings post BIOS, pre boot.

In there you can set / create the virtual drives. The drives should be OK and workable, as long as they are set in the same type of raid and not been written to.

My work PC setup to give you an idea.

1 x 240 SSD in a Raid 0 (yes only 1 disk) = Virtual Drive 1

2 x 500GB HDD in a Raid 0 = Virtual Drive 2

Then set Virtual Drive 1 as boot Drive

I know it's a bit of a backward step but you could roll back the bios version? I really would have though the P55 controller would have been separate from the BIOS - shouldn't have been affected.

I just went on to do some trial and error tests, and found the solution which was way easier than I thought.

When selecting RAID in the BIOS (what was the first thing I did in the first place), I should have disabled an option just below it called something which sounds like SB raid boot ROM. Then it does not try to boot from the RAID setup and then uses the SSD to boot, as it should.

It booted, and my RAID0 configuration from pre-bios update has been used. Didn't have to do anything else, everything works again.

So, if anyone else has the same problem. In the bios, where you have to change it from IDE to RAID, also disable the option just below which looks or sounds a little like SB raid boot ROM (don't remember exactly what it said).

Thanks for trying to help though, guys!

Phone. ZTE Axon 7

@MartinEyefinity For what it's worth, Windows also supports software RAID in the Disk Management utility.   

I had my kid's computer booting to RAID0, but it became unstable and there was an error reported in POST on startup (but still managed to boot).  I didn't want to deal with troubleshooting it, so I cloned the 2x500s back to the 1TB SSD.  Back in Disk Management I set the 2x500s as RAID and they're being used for storage now, too.

Same effect, different implementation.  Keep it in mind if you ever have any more issues with your array.