2500k OC issues

tonyeezy

I purchased a Cooler Master 212 EVO back in March and overclocked my 2500k to 4.5 GHz shortly after receiving it. Everything was running perfectly fine throughout stress tests, gaming (which I don't do a lot of), and daily use. Two days ago I was sitting near my PC watching TV and my computer either went to sleep/update install, etc while I wasn't using it and then it got stuck in a boot loop. The computer boots for half a second, then just shuts off and will continuously do this until I kill the power. Tried a few things like pulling the GPU, stick of RAM, etc. I think what did it was pulling the battery on the motherboard which let me boot the PC again because before it wouldn't even post.

Upon booting back up I saw these two messages:

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

I did see one more screen which I did not get a picture of but it was a post screen I believe which I have never seen before, can't remember.

Now I guess it's pretty obvious what caused the issue but I'm wondering why after 5 months or so with no issues this happened. I'm wondering if I need to tweak the voltage/play with any settings. I believe I had mine set to 1.270 V in the BIOs and temps and stability seemed fine. I have also just upgraded to Windows 10, but I don't think that has anything to do with it considering the PC wouldn't even post.

For now I loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS and have left it there.

The guide I followed to OC was this one I believe; http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1651697

Other specs:

GA-Z68XP-UD3P rev 1.3 on F7 BIOS

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 8GB

M4 Crucial SSD

GTX 970

500W PSU

No BIOS updates or anything?  What motherboard are you using?  Does it not have the error when booting at stock speeds (can you even get in and change it)?

How the hell did you get 4.5 @ 1.27v?

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

-snip-

Don't forget to follow your topics!

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

No BIOS updates or anything?  What motherboard are you using?  Does it not have the error when booting at stock speeds (can you even get in and change it)?

How the hell did you get 4.5 @ 1.27v?

Sorry added mobo to OP. After pulling the battery on the mobo it booted again back to the desktop. PC was still running at 4.5 GHz fine for a day and then last again it decided to boot loop again. I currently have the CPU running at stock speeds with default BIOS settings.

Are there any BIOS updates available?  With my board I had a funky experience overclocking on the BIOS it came with, and that would be my first guess.

Are there any BIOS updates available?  With my board I had a funky experience overclocking on the BIOS it came with, and that would be my first guess.

Yeah I'm on the latest version which is F7. There is a UEFI BIOS which was posted a year later, but I'm just using the regular one.

I'd start slowly working my way back up to try to find where it's running into trouble at.  Watching my voltages in like CPUHW or some other program just to make sure nothings going all wonky there.