Question about transferring things to different PCs

_James

Hi there!
My mum is getting a new PC and I'm building it for her, I'm just wondering if when I backup all her data on her hard drive and I move it onto a new hard drive, will the operating system (windows 7) move with it?

Thanks

Most often than not NO!

But you can try.

If it doesn't work, you will have 1 month until you have to buy windows (after that, there is lots of windows popups)

or you could install Ubuntu, its FREE!!!! (Linux for life)

Time for Manjaro! Or:

Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mate-Buntu...

Debian XFCE...

Sabayon XFCE, Sabayon Mate...

Linux Mint?

You could use Macrium Reflect to clone the old HDD to the new one.  This will only work if the new one is bigger than the old one.

The cloning process would clone everything.

However Windows may fail to boot if they system is drastically different.

Your best option is to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the laptop and use the product key from the old one.  Then you should re-install all the program from there.  You can transfer documents and pictures VIA a USB.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Unless the new PC is exactly the same as the old one, the answer is definitely NO. 

You will have to reinstall windows and all of the programs. Do a backup of your data and reinstall, it's the only real way. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thank you all for the replies.

My mum does not wish to use Linux - so basically I just need to buy windows again?

You don't need to buy windows again unless you would like Windows on both her new machine and her old one.  You can simply create or use Windows 7 Installation to install Windows 7 on the new machine.  Then you can use the old Windows 7 product key located somewhere on the old machine.   If it's not physically on the machine, you can use software to retrieve the key.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7