Cheapest useable laptop

ZoZubin

A friend of mine asked what is the cheapest but still very useable laptop.

I think its the ASUS EeBook x205. It is totally useable for normal tasks like web browsing and music/video streaming. It has great battery life a decent screen compared to the HP stream and is very thin and compact for the price of only $199!

I was wondering, does anyone know a cheaper solid laptop?

The Eebook does indeed have a slower processor than the stream though.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

A friend of mine asked what is the cheapest but still very useable laptop.

I think its the ASUS EeBook x205. It is totally useable for normal tasks like web browsing and music/video streaming. It has great battery life a decent screen compared to the HP stream and is very thin and compact for the price of only $199!

I was wondering, does anyone know a cheaper solid laptop?

Get the HP Stream! Linus mentions it in his recent back-to-school laptop video

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I don't know why people rate the HP stream as better then the EeBook x205 for the slightly better processor. I mean you won't be doing heavy workloads on both of them! Personally i would rather have a better display and better battery life. and besides. you can only get the stream in blue and pink. It looks like a laptop for children.

HP stream / X205 for sure

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't know why people rate the HP stream as better then the EeBook x205 for the slightly better processor. I mean you won't be doing heavy workloads on both of them! Personally i would rather have a better display and better battery life. and besides. you can only get the stream in blue and pink. It looks like a laptop for children.

I'd rather have something that chugs less. I have dealt with worse screens before. But, that is only a matter of preference.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Acer ES1-131. You can upgrade the RAM (i.e. it's not soldered). I have 8GB in mine instead of the 2GB that was installed out of the box.

I'd rather have something that chugs less. I have dealt with worse screens before. But, that is only a matter of preference.

True but I've seen reviews of both. and the Attom in the x205 is a quad core, so it does kick in for a few seconds when launching an application or something. Most people don't notice the difference in day-to-day tasks. But if you do photoshop or something like that, I can understand the Stream decision.

Yes. My top tips;

- nuke McAfee out of existence

- install Windows 10 (frees up precious storage space due to no longer needing WIMBoot partition)

- do a Reset to get rid of bloatware

- use Edge whenever possible instead of Chrome

The Hp stream is surprised me in how well it preformed. For Everyday tasks it works like a charm. Just get rid of MacAfee and probably avoid chrome and it'll do just fine for what OP needs it for.

I had specs on a laptop very similar to the Hp stream. It was usable. Not enjoyable so I upgraded the CPU and RAM finally.

You upgraded the CPU on a laptop?

Yeah, from a Celeron 900 to a Core 2 Duo T9300

Cool, didn't know that was possible.

Yup, there are limitations however. Tdp has to be the same and you cannot exceed a certain FSB. It varies with each laptop/motherboard. Other than that you just have to look up your socket type and get a CPU in that socket.