Questions for people who have upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7

Hi there, I have a few questions about upgrading to and from the Professional versions of Windows This mostly pertains to users who have upgraded from Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. 

I have a few programs/ apps that I use every day, and although some might seem trivial, I'm wondering if anyone has an answer.  

My main, overreaching question is when upgrading, and NOT doing a clean install, ie: using the Get Windows 10 App, do your programs stay intact? Like Steam, all my games, saved documents, pictures, etc?  I have Dolby Home Theater v4 (I've included a screen capture) , and I really want to know if that will carry over?  I assume antivirus will take care of itself? I use Kaspersky Internet Security.  

Thanks for the help!

post-69769-0-20925600-1440617029.png

I personally made a 'untrue' clean install where I chose to keep nothnig when upgrading to win 10 but my friends upgraded normally and they had no problems.

| CPU: i5-4460 | GPU: GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr | Motherboard: Asus H97M-Plus | Ram: 2x4gb Kinkston ValueRam | CPU Cooler: Rajintek Aidos | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Storage: Kingston SSDNOW V300 120gb & 1TB WD Blue | Case: Sharkoon T28 Red | Case coolers: 3 Cooler Master SickleFlow Red Led | 

| HP ProBook 650 G1 | i5-4200M | Ram: 4gb | 500gb HDD |

Everything is still there, with all the settings, ...

The only change is Windows 10 instead of windows 7.

Some programs stayed and some programs didn't for me.

I upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro.

Microsoft Office, Norton 360, CPU-Z/HW Monitor/GPU-Z were the programs that i had to reinstall to get. 

The files/documents/pictures will stay the same and so as Steam but some programs may get lost in the process and you have to reinstall them. 

When you begin the Windows 10 install, it will ask very plainly if you want to do an "upgrade" and keep all your stuff intact, or do a clean install and wipe the drive. Based on my own experience, programs you have installed will generally continue to work fine; device drivers mostly will not. Make sure your devices have Windows 10 drivers available before you take the upgrade… video card, audio, and network controller are the big ones. After you take the upgrade, fully uninstall old drivers before installing the new versions.

I have not used that particular software, though, so I can't specifically say how that will work.

Ok, thanks.  I assume it doesn't make a difference that my OS lives on an SSD with the data on the HDD right?

Ok, thanks.  I assume it doesn't make a difference that my OS lives on an SSD with the data on the HDD right?

Not one bit. I have an SSD and two mechanical disks, myself.

When you begin the Windows 10 install, it will ask very plainly if you want to do an "upgrade" and keep all your stuff intact, or do a clean install and wipe the drive. Based on my own experience, programs you have installed will generally continue to work fine; device drivers mostly will not. Make sure your devices have Windows 10 drivers available before you take the upgrade… video card, audio, and network controller are the big ones. After you take the upgrade, fully uninstall old drivers before installing the new versions.

I have not used that particular software, though, so I can't specifically say how that will work.

You may also want to make sure that your USB controller drivers are compatible. You dont want to end up with an unusable computer like i did. At least the roll back to the previous OS  is painless and pretty quick if something isnt compatible.

I personally made a 'untrue' clean install where I chose to keep nothnig when upgrading to win 10 but my friends upgraded normally and they had no problems.

If it's a clean install its a clean install, if it's not a clean install it's not a clean install. There is no "untrue" clean install.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

If it's a clean install its a clean install, if it's not a clean install it's not a clean install. There is no "untrue" clean install.

Yeah but I said it just to clarify because many people think it's only a true clean install if you format your drive completely and use a flash drive or iso to install windows again.

| CPU: i5-4460 | GPU: GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr | Motherboard: Asus H97M-Plus | Ram: 2x4gb Kinkston ValueRam | CPU Cooler: Rajintek Aidos | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Storage: Kingston SSDNOW V300 120gb & 1TB WD Blue | Case: Sharkoon T28 Red | Case coolers: 3 Cooler Master SickleFlow Red Led | 

| HP ProBook 650 G1 | i5-4200M | Ram: 4gb | 500gb HDD |