Yet another friend build

thekeemo

This one doesn't have as much backstory as the other ones so yea.

This was the build that was originally recommended:

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($71.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($158.25 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($56.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($83.00 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $840.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-26 13:09 EDT-0400

(He has a a gtx 750ti that he said he will upgrade later on)

But what ended up happening was the branch he went to of Memory Express didn't have the GS in stock and recommended him a VSM which isn't the worst but he could do better. So I told him to use his old PSU for now and order it online from NCIX or go to the other mem ex branch which does have it. but he went home and found out that the PSU cables wouldn't reach and decided he wanted a working computer NOW so he went to the same branch and didn't get a VSM which is ok but rather a CX 750w (click the link you won't regret it).

The next day comes up and his parents decide to pay 50% of the computers cost so he could get a new monitor and after some "discussion" I convinced to not pay for an overpriced 1080p 60hz "gaming monitor" and rather get a nice IPS panel which he was reluctant to do but ended up being very happy with.

Anyway PICTURES.
I didn't build it so don't look at me for cable management.

post-95785-0-95250400-1440609591_thumb.jpost-95785-0-03349200-1440609594_thumb.jpost-95785-0-70599000-1440609595_thumb.j
post-95785-0-48705300-1440609597_thumb.j

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What speed did the RAM run at? I see you mismatched the ram, one being 1600mhz, the other being 1333.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

What speed did the RAM run at? I see you mismatched the ram, one being 1600mhz, the other being 1333.

It will run at 1333 by default but you can easily OC it to 1600

He ended up getting 2 blacks for simplicities sake.

Also forgot to mention because he didn't price match he ended up not having enough money left over for the CPU cooler.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so he got a new gpu?

Not yet he will later.

Not yet he will later.

wut is he going to get?

I didn't know what to put here...

It will run at 1333 by default but you can easily OC it to 1600

He ended up getting 2 blacks for simplicities sake.

Also forgot to mention because he didn't price match he ended up not having enough money left over for the CPU cooler.

To go complete overkill: EKWB Predator AIO incoming!

I found overclocking the HyperX Fury ram was awful - my two 1600mhz sticks don't even to 9-9-9-30, or 1866 with a higher timing

Was about to mention cable management when I saw your statement :P Any plans for tidying it up?

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

wut is he going to get?

Probably a 970 since the 390 is a fair bit more expensive here.

Probably a 970 since the 390 is a fair bit more expensive here.

thats gud

I didn't know what to put here...

To go complete overkill: EKWB Predator AIO incoming!

I found overclocking the HyperX Fury ram was awful - my two 1600mhz sticks don't even to 9-9-9-30, or 1866 with a higher timing

I don't do timings just voltage (if needed I rarely do major oc's not much benefit from high speed) and clock speed

and nope