Hey peoples. I've had this loud noise coming out of my hard drive for a long time (Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive). This loud noise drives me crazy, I can hear from outside the case when I'm sitting at my table.

I was just wondering if it was normal. If not, could you recommend any way to fix the problem (if there is a way)?

Thanks.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4W1fa8lP-A

Backup you drive NOW!!!

Then run HDD Guardian and look for errors.

THAT DRIVE SOUND LIKE IT IS GOING TO DIE!!!

Backup you drive NOW!!!

Then run HDD Guardian and look for errors.

THAT DRIVE SOUND LIKE IT IS GOING TO DIE!!!

I ran HDD Guardian and HD Tune Pro. Both said my hard drive has no errors.

~snip~

Hey there RoboticTaco and welcome to the community :) Do follow your own topics so you get notifications whenever someone responds. :)

I would recommend checking the drive with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if it passes both the quick and the extended tests. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=D4pcwj

If the drive passes the tests it should be safe to use. You can also try moving the drive around the case and see if it makes any difference. There are also kits that reduce noise and vibrations that can reduce the noise levels. You can also backup your data and apply for a RMA procedure if the drive is still under warranty. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there RoboticTaco and welcome to the community :) Do follow your own topics so you get notifications whenever someone responds. :)

I would recommend checking the drive with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if it passes both the quick and the extended tests. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=D4pcwj

If the drive passes the tests it should be safe to use. You can also try moving the drive around the case and see if it makes any difference. There are also kits that reduce noise and vibrations that can reduce the noise levels. You can also backup your data and apply for a RMA procedure if the drive is still under warranty. 

Captain_WD.

Thanks man :) I'll give that a try.

Captain_WD.

Thankfully my drive passed both of the tests. Any idea what could be causing the noise though?

Thankfully my drive passed both of the tests. Any idea what could be causing the noise though?

These are sounds coming from the read/write head that is hovering above the platter of the drive. HDDs usually make this noise when the head is seeking/writing very intensively. I could suggest checking if your drive is fragmented and possibly clean/defragment it. This should lower the need for such intensive seeking and this reduce the noise. I'm guessing this noise is exceptionally loud during virus scanns, opening of larger documents or files and was pretty quiet during the drive test?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

• 2 weeks later...

These are sounds coming from the read/write head that is hovering above the platter of the drive. HDDs usually make this noise when the head is seeking/writing very intensively. I could suggest checking if your drive is fragmented and possibly clean/defragment it. This should lower the need for such intensive seeking and this reduce the noise. I'm guessing this noise is exceptionally loud during virus scanns, opening of larger documents or files and was pretty quiet during the drive test?

Captain_WD.

Sorry for not replying. I completely forgot about this thread :S  Thanks for the recommendation. The sound was very loud when doing the test.

DANGET, JUST BACK IT UP, THAT DRIVE IS GOING TO FAIL ANY TIME SON! BACK THAT UP TO EXTERNAL DRIVE, AND PREPARE FOR A DRIVE FAILIURE! GET IN YOUR STATIONS!

Welp, I once had that issue, and it scared me.. trust me, you should back it up anyway, but you should be fine... (And like Captain_WD said, check for fragmentation)

Also, that drive is a lot newer then my dang 1TB 6 year old WD enterprise drive I use(I ran out of budget, and I had this laying around xD)

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

DANGET, JUST BACK IT UP, THAT DRIVE IS GOING TO FAIL ANY TIME SON! BACK THAT UP TO EXTERNAL DRIVE, AND PREPARE FOR A DRIVE FAILIURE! GET IN YOUR STATIONS!

Welp, I once had that issue, and it scared me.. trust me, you should back it up anyway, but you should be fine... (And like Captain_WD said, check for fragmentation)

Also, that drive is a lot newer then my dang 1TB 6 year old WD enterprise drive I use(I ran out of budget, and I had this laying around xD)

Did you fix the HDD or find a solution?

Did you fix the HDD or find a solution?

Turned out there was nothing wrong with the drive, idk why it was doing that! Its still going strong!

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.