Playing games off of 2Gbit NAS

dark_xzyph3r

Is it possible to play games off of a NAS with 2Gbit connection? Will I experience any difficulties with it?

Yes, 1Gb is fine also, 2Gbit will be better when dealing with larger files. A single SSD would do a better job however has it will be on a 6Gb bus (250MBPS v 750MBPS theoretical max transfers of 2Gbit network versus Sata 6Gbps). Even with the benefit of RAID you wont get the better speeds a single SSD will provide.

You also need to take into account the extra latency of the Network connection, and that you'll be using ?LDAP? to transfer across multiple NICs (this wont be much).

Not sure about the caching part, most of the solutions require local storage for both the cache and the storage device.

Yes, 1Gb is fine also, 2Gbit will be better when dealing with larger files. A single SSD would do a better job however has it will be on a 6Gb bus (250MBPS v 750MBPS theoretical max transfers of 2Gbit network versus Sata 6Gbps). Even with the benefit of RAID you wont get the better speeds a single SSD will provide.

You also need to take into account the extra latency of the Network connection, and that you'll be using ?LDAP? to transfer across multiple NICs (this wont be much).

Not sure about the caching part, most of the solutions require local storage for both the cache and the storage device.

Yeah I will be using Link Aggregation 

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Is it possible to play games off of a NAS with 2Gbit connection? Will I experience any difficulties with it?

Hey dark_xzyph3r,

2Gb/s gives you basically a limit of 250MB/s transfer speeds which is well over the speed of a regular HDD (even the high-performance ones. You should be completely fine playing games over the network from the NAS. If you have separate internet connection coming to the computer itself you should even be able to play online. As @LittleCarrot explained, think of the NAS as a larger flash drive (local storage).
Some games require you to install them on an internal drive so you might have problems installing them on the NAS, but you should be fine with most of them. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/