Headphone Upgrade?

AustinJ

I currently am using DT880 Premium 250ohm. I am having the urge to upgrade my setup more and I feel that currently my headphones are my weakest point. My current dac and amp being bifrost with asgard 2. Lets say that I have something like 500ish to spend on some new headphones. Is there something that would get me a notable difference? I am looking for something that keeps my audio sparkly and my bass tight.

Maybe even some used alpha primes. Also, if you want to stay in the beyer family, the T1 can often be had for ~$600 or so used, you might be able to trade for some.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The HE-400i would be close a strong contender in the price range. Someone on the forum did a review of that headphone after upgrading from the DT 880 and had some very positive things to say about the improvement.

Used HE560 or alpha dogs perhaps

I have looked into alpha dogs and not really into the looks if that is enough to judge headphones on :)

Maybe even some used alpha primes. Also, if you want to stay in the beyer family, the T1 can often be had for ~$600 or so used, you might be able to trade for some.

The only fear that I have with the T1 is that they would sound very similar to my current headphones making them sort of not an upgrade.

The HE-400i would be close a strong contender in the price range. Someone on the forum did a review of that headphone after upgrading from the DT 880 and had some very positive things to say about the improvement.

I have been looking into the hifiman stuff. I look around and read some reviews on the different headphones they have to offer around $500.

I am going to do some research tonight after work after all purchase this big requires some research. I'll come back here if I stumble on some more questions. Thanks for everybody's guidance so far.

After some research I have conclude that I probably am going to want to get some planar headphones if I pay this much. I have come down to these options. I am leaning towards the option of getting th EL-8's to offer a nice comfortable and may different sound signature that may be simliar. Am I missing some good options that I should reconsider? If I find the EL-8's for a good price, $400-$500, would this be a good choice?

Audeze EL-8, $590Ish Used
- Unique sound signature compared to other planars
- Comfortable

HiFiMAN HE-500, $560ish Used

- Great overall sound
- On the heavy side, unconfortable
- Build quailty is on the lacking side

Fostex TH500RP, $570ish Used
- Midcentric
- Details and resolution is sort of lacking

OPPO PM-2, $710ish Used
- Good lows and mids
- Treble is a bit rough

- Tad high for the price for what they are would have to find a good deal

After some research I have conclude that I probably am going to want to get some planar headphones if I pay this much. I have come down to these options. I am leaning towards the option of getting th EL-8's to offer a nice comfortable and may different sound signature that may be simliar. Am I missing some good options that I should reconsider? If I find the EL-8's for a good price, $400-$500, would this be a good choice?

Audeze EL-8, $590Ish Used

- Unique sound signature compared to other planars

- Comfortable

HiFiMAN HE-500, $560ish Used

- Great overall sound

- On the heavy side, unconfortable

- Build quailty is on the lacking side

Fostex TH500RP, $570ish Used

- Midcentric

- Details and resolution is sort of lacking

OPPO PM-2, $710ish Used

- Good lows and mids

- Treble is a bit rough

- Tad high for the price for what they are would have to find a good deal

for a lot of people (myself included) the el-8 has a weird sound signature for any transducer of any type that I've ever heard, and it's not necessarily in a good way (in my opinion) unless you've heard them and like them, I would stay away from the el-8.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

for a lot of people (myself included) the el-8 has a weird sound signature for any transducer of any type that I've ever heard, and it's not necessarily in a good way (in my opinion) unless you've heard them and like them, I would stay away from the el-8.

Can you describe the sound signature in terms of how you heard it?

Personally, I'd wait until the HE-400s is released, hopefully later this year. Based on Tyll's response to hearing it, there may be little point in paying $500 for a planar.

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog is another planar in the $500 range, but from what I understand it has a darker sound signature than what you seem to be considering. It's also closed.

Used HE560 

nonono pls no

HE-560s are the weirdest cans I have ever heard in my life, sooo happy I returned them  -_-

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Personally, I'd wait until the HE-400s is released, hopefully later this year. Based on Tyll's response to hearing it, there may be little point in paying $500 for a planar.

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog is another planar in the $500 range, but from what I understand it has a darker sound signature than what you seem to be considering. It's also closed.

I am probably looking to get some new headphones somewhere in or around August so I don't know if I can wait :). I have looked at the MrSpeakers and they are a bit on the high price side of my budget and they kind of look cheap.

nonono pls no

HE-560s are the weirdest cans I have ever heard in my life, sooo happy I returned them  -_-

Yeah the reviews were mixed on this one. I couldn't quite come up with a overall for it. Plus it is a bit high in terms of price.

I am probably looking to get some new headphones somewhere in or around August so I don't know if I can wait :).

If you don't need them for a job, you can wait.

I have looked at the MrSpeakers and they are a bit on the high price side of my budget and they kind of look cheap.

All the headphones on your list are over $500, which the Alpha Dogs are exactly if I'm not mistaken. Also, stupid reason to pass up a good-sounding headphone.

Huh, I didn't know they were released. Apparently they just came out a couple of days ago.

The MSRP is $300. Hopefully an innerfidelity review comes out soon.

If you don't need them for a job, you can wait.

All the headphones on your list are over $500, which the Alpha Dogs are exactly if I'm not mistaken. Also, stupid reason to pass up a good-sounding headphone.

Huh, I didn't know they were released. Apparently they just came out a couple of days ago.

The MSRP is $300. Hopefully an innerfidelity review comes out soon.

I suppose I can wait lol... I get excited about new toys :). I was looking at the primes earlier didn't even notice the cheaper ones, those might be worth a second look. I am going to wait for some more reviews of the 400s to appear and then think about this again. It is something that I can wait for since it won't be till next month at least anyways. I have already went through my budget of getting new toys this month.