Powering circuit with relay off of 5v usb header on motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Dewst3r,

Hey I decided to go with an optocoupler....saves the worry about the relay completely...works with 5V and a resistor perfectly. Thank you guys.

Hello, I am currently in progress of making a circuit that has a relay in it. I was planning on the power of the circuit to be coming from the usb header on the motherboard since the motherboard I have supplies power to it when it is in the off state. With a switch, it would activate the relay in my circuit. I understand that the relay's reverse polarity can be harmful to other electronics in the circuit (in this case the motherboard) if not dealt with properly. I have a diode that handles that extra voltage from when the relay switches back to its default state. My question is: Even with the diode in place, will my motherboard still be at risk for damage with the relay? Right now I am using AC to DC 5V wall plug to power the circuit and I would like to move it onto my computer for my convenience. Note that it works fine with the wall plug and I have tested it. There is a transistor as well. Picture of circuit attached.

What is the circuit that I have been talking about?
It is a circuit with 2 flip switches and a key switch to turn on my computer. It was something fun with no practical purpose. I am using power instead of using the circuit to directly short the pins because the switches have LED's in them which I would like to have illuminated when flipping on (adds to the cool factor lol).

This will be mounted on the top of my case. Picture also attached.

If I didn't explain myself well enough, which is likely, I will be actively watching this post for 10 minutes after, and every now and again after.

Edit: changed time frame that I will be looking at this

post-75121-0-76558200-1436047662_thumb.j

post-75121-0-34082200-1436047820_thumb.j

Your better off using a molex connector.

Will that supply power when the computer is off....I never even thought of using molex

Will that supply power when the computer is off....I never even thought of using molex

As long as the power supply is on it should. I know mine does I have a plug to test LED strips us ring the yellow and black12v in believe the red and black is your 5v. I just cut off a jumper I had that had the molex end.

You can also use a 120v av wall plug that converts to DC like a cell phone charge you just have to find the right size you need cut off the end and use the 2 wires.

As long as the power supply is on it should. I know mine does I have a plug to test LED strips us ring the yellow and black12v in believe the red and black is your 5v. I just cut off a jumper I had that had the molex end.

Ok cool that sounds pretty good...would you suggest that this would be a safer bet in my situation than using the usb header on my motherboard? I would assume the power supply (Corsair CX500M) would have some sort of surge suppression past the power coming directly from the wall. Once again, I just want to be 100% sure that nothing will get damaged and that the diode will succeed in taking all the excess voltage from the relay.

You can also use a 120v av wall plug that converts to DC like a cell phone charge you just have to find the right size you need cut off the end and use the 2 wires.

That's what I'm using right now...I just wanted to see about moving my power source to my computer just for ease of use.

Most psu have a 2-3 amp standby rail on the psu so that should be more than enough. Also i notice your using a zener diode, you should be using a normal diode.

Most psu have a 2-3 amp standby rail on the psu so that should be more than enough. Also i notice your using a zener diode, you should be using a normal diode.

I am using this diode: 1N4148 http://www.vishay.com/docs/81857/1n4148.pdf 

That is a datasheet that I found online.

What is the difference between the two diodes?

Hey I decided to go with an optocoupler....saves the worry about the relay completely...works with 5V and a resistor perfectly. Thank you guys.