Help with choosing a new monitor for heavy gaming and daily use?

MichaelBroughan

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this post, I seriously appreciate it. Secondly, I need a little help to choose a new display to go with a system I will be building over the coming weeks. The monitor will be used for large amounts of gaming (but not that much of fast-paced FPS) as well as day to day use. The only criteria I have are that it must have a minimum size of 22 inches and a max of 24 inches and that it must be 1080p, and while I would like some inbuilt speakers, the lack of them is not a dealbreaker. The budget is at the highest £160 (that's around $250 US) My question is, which of the following would be better for heavy gaming as well as general use:

1) An IPS monitor with a response time of no more than around 6ms and a refresh rate of 60Hz?

Specific monitors I'm considering (feel free to suggest others):

- Asus VX239H/Asus MX239H (which one out of these?)

- AOC I2369VM

Or...

2) A TN panel (with decent colour accuracy) with a response time of no more than around 2ms and a refresh rate of more than 60Hz?

Specific monitors I'm considering (feel free to suggest others):

- None yet :/

I am being drawn to the TN panel because of it's faster response rate and the refresh rate giving the ability to fully exploit my GTX 970 without deactivating vSync, but I am not sure whether the reduced viewing angles/colour accuracy would detract from the experience? Please respond telling me which type of monitor (1 or 2) I should go with for my needs, or even suggesting specific brands/models of monitor that fit my requirements and budget would be absolutely fantastic.

Thank you everybody for your advice :D!

Well, I for one think that IPS/VA at 60Hz is much better than TN at 120Hz. The color accuracy is much more important to me than the extra framerate, especially since most new games won't go above 70-80 FPS maxed because of how demanding they are sometimes. The 120/144 Hz is noticeable, but the jump in color accuracy and viewing angle was a bigger improvement for me.

I actually used to use the Asus MX239H and it's absolutely fantastic. Great colors, great looks, great vibrancy, great response time, great value. I'd recommend that one.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

If you are going to get a TN, please dont get a 60hz one. Otherwise you are just choosing the worst of both worlds by getting a 60hz TN.

Heres the cheapest 144hz TN: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-024-AO&groupid=17&catid=1851

Ye, its in your budget. And id actually suggest you get that instead of IPS. And im a champion of IPS.