Damn you HP...

Soooo, my GT530 recently decided to burn out, so I was left with no choice but to get the pc fixed. I managed to find a GTX 960 (gigabyte) that suit the PC completely fine!, but after installing the card, the pc would boot fine just nothing will come up on the display. after some fiddling and seeing if other things would work, using different GPUs to see if something would come up on the screen but nothing did :( . I looked onto the HP Forums and they all said to disable UEFI or something which I did and still no result.

After contacting HP they suggested that something was wrong with the BIOS, so as anyone would. I updated it but still no result. after consulting with HP and after 2 weeks of having a PC that is essentially completely useless they mentioned that since it is an 'old' pc (coming up 3 years old) they do not support the model anymore therefore I have been restricted to using a mixture of GPUs, the only card that actually seemed like it was worth getting was the HD 6990. but being a 4 year old Card is it really worth 'upgrading'? or should I wait to buy a new PC altogether? 

Regards

ShiftY_

Desktop: h8-1130a

cpu: i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz, 3.7ghz boost

mobo: IPSIS-CH2

ram: 8GB @ 1333mhz

GPU: TBD

Storage: 1TB Seagate drive

PSU: 500W Thermaltake Litepower OEM

The 6990 is still a powerful card. Granted it is running old and barely able to push out what people would consider 'the best framerate for a dual gpu card'.

I'd just buy a new motherboard tbh.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

It will definitely be a good time to upgrade soon, with Intel releasing Skylake and NVIDIA coming out with new cards. I'd build a new PC a little while after Skylake launches, like two weeks or a month. If you lack the building experience, and I assume you are looking for a gaming PC, try looking for some by Origin, as I've heard some good things about them. If you're on a lesser budget, it would still be a good time to get a new PC as you could get Haswell grade processor when Skylake releases and then just put the 960 in your new system.

If you don't have that much time, see if the motherboard has a graphics slot. Of course, you won't be able to run games on it, but it will last you until you can get a new one.

Would I have to do a clean reset of windows 7 as well?