Wiping drive except the operating syste,

omaroma11

Hello. I am going to sell my computer to on craigslist. I have backed up all my files and would like to uninstall everything except the operating system. I can'y system restore for some odd reason the Microsoft person told me. What is the best way to remove all files and programs except the operating system thanks.

Alienware M14x 

Windows 8 64 bit

there's no such thing. you'll need to format the drive completely and then do a fresh install of the os.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

There is no secure way. Even if you delete the files they are still there just not directly visible. One just has to run one of the many software suits designed to recover deleted files.

If you sell your HDD and there was sensitive information on there you will always have to "null" the drive to be sure (not just a "quick format"). If you can't do that I honestly wouldn't sell the hdd.....

On the other hand if there never was sensitive information on there and you can't do a windows factory reset you'll have to uninstall everything by hand and remove all you personal files (also by hand).

You can use CCleaner's Drive Wiper in the Tools section, it will remove everything but the OS from what I've read. 

I'm not responsible of what happens to your computer tho, good luck

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

You can use CCleaner's Drive Wiper in the Tools section, it will remove everything but the OS from what I've read. 

I read that it will wipe the os

Everyone above me is wrong. Windows 8 & 8.1 have a ResetRefresh options. I don't exactly remember where they're located, but it's somewhere in the Modern settings App. Just click 'reset my PC' and it will bring your computer back to a factory state. 

Afterwards you can run a 'Wipe Free space' inside Ccleaner so the buyer can't restore your deleted files back. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I read that it will wipe the os

How can a program wipe the operating system its running on!? lol

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Windows 8 has refresh and reset options. I would personally prefer to format the drive and reinstall, so that all data would be gone. But, the built in options are easy to use and relatively quick.

Hold down left shift as you select restart. It will bring up a alternate boot menu and you can access the refresh and reset options. You'll probably want to do a reset.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Everyone above me is wrong. Windows 8 & 8.1 have a ResetRefresh options. I don't exactly remember where they're located, but it's somewhere in the Modern settings App. Just click 'reset my PC' and it will bring your computer back to a factory state. 

Afterwards you can run a 'Wipe Free space' inside Ccleaner so the buyer can't restore your deleted files back. 

Wow, the more you know! I really didn't know about the "wipe free space" option, nice to know! :)

Also, reset and refresh is at Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery

you can shoot yourself in the head right? you just never get the chance to clean up afterwards

Much the same.

wow that made a lot of sense lol, now I get it