Need help choosing components for my new PC.

So this is gonna be my first PC that I am going to choose components for, so I might not understand everything in choosing the right components, plus I have a budget (around 1k) so I came here to ask your help.

The components I already decided to buy are:

cpu: core i7 4790K

hard drive: 1tb western digital

RAM: Crucial Ballistics 2x8 gigs

and that's as far as it goes.

Now the components I might buy, but I'm not certain would they be the best choice for me

motherboard: Asus Z97-E (I chose the one with two PCI-e ports, because I might be going SLI/Crossfire later on)

Power supply: Sentey 1000w 80+ bronze (again for SLI/Crossfire)

And now what i truly need help choosing is a GPU. It's really hard to find decent GPUs for a price around 300-400 bucks.

What I first had in mind was going dual 960 right away, but it only has 2 gigs of VRAM which is not very much by today's standards, plus it would be out of my budget if I chose the 4gb versions.

Other choice was gtx 690, which was a much faster choice out of the box, but it has the same problem as the previous one, not enough VRAM.

Then there's gtx 970 which is kinda the perfect choice I'm presented with so far. Fits right into the budget, but it has kind of issues with it's VRAM, that if i get a game that uses more than 3,5 gigs my FPS will drop, so it isn't a long term solution.

And finally AMD and it's 290X which has 4gb and performes as good as the 970 at pretty much the same price.

These are the GPUs that I had in mind, please help me choose which one should I go with, or suggest something that you think would be better.

And also would appreciate help with the motherboard and power supply.

Also any corrections are welcome.

Edit: I do not have any of the parts shown above yet, since I am only going to buy them once I am compleytely certain that there are no better options.

Get a 290X, 690 is outdated.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Where do you live?

What are you using this PC for?

Why the hell do you have a Sentey PSU?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KqWDsY

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KqWDsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($50.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ B&H) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Direct CU II Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $1123.92

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-01 04:43 EDT-0400

There you go.

Go for a GTX 960

Its a good GPU, with a great budget price point.

Or go to the AMD GPU's but i don't know their performance, so you will have to see yourself

Motherboard is good,

i took a MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, for a similar build, but yours should be fine as well

What resolution are playing at 1080p or less, coz it doesn't seem to me as if you are going for 1080p

But spend at least $200, on GPU, otherwise its a waste of the intel's cpu power

Where do you live?

What are you using this PC for?

Why the hell do you have a Sentey PSU?

Estonia (Eastern/Northern Europe), most stuff isn't shipped here :c

Going to use the PC for gaming.

I don't have any of the parts yet, I'm just planning which ones to get, before getting them.

Go for a GTX 960

Its a good GPU, with a great budget price point.

Or go to the AMD GPU's but i don't know their performance, so you will have to see yourself

Motherboard is good,

i took a MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, for a similar build, but yours should be fine as well

What resolution are playing at 1080p or less, coz it doesn't seem to me as if you are going for 1080p

But spend at least $200, on GPU, otherwise its a waste of the intel's cpu power

Going for 1680x1050p in the beginning, but might later upgrade, to 1920x1080p

Estonia (Eastern/Northern Europe), most stuff isn't shipped here :c

Going to use the PC for gaming.

I don't have any of the parts yet, I'm just planning which ones to get, before getting them.

Going for 1680x1050p in the beginning, but might later upgrade, to 1920x1080p

Let's start at the CPU and mobo. 

Bang for your buck, all you truly need for gaming is:

1.  i5 4440 + H81/B85 ($230 total in the USA)

2.  i5 4460 + H97

Overclocking enthusiast?

3.  i5 4690K + Z97

Overkill for no reason?

4.  i7 4790K + Z97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAM standard is 1600MHz with CAS timings at 9.  Find the cheapest set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is 250GB for an SSD enough to get started? 

Crucial MX100/MX200/BX100

Samsung 850 EVO

Sandisk X110

If it is really cheap, you can go with a Sandforce controller... OCZ ARC, or Mushkin Chronos or the Muchkin ECO/ECO2

Skip the mass storage drive for now.  You can add it later.  Easy as plugging it in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPU - GTX 750Ti < R9260X < R9265 < R9 270(X) < R9 280 < R9 285/R9 380/GTX 960 < R9 280X < R9 290 < R9 290X < GTX 970 < GTX 980 < Fury?/GTX 980Ti < TITAN!

The difference between the 960 and 970 is huge.  It is not in the same world.  At your budget, don't go for a GTX 960. Try for that 970.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSU If you are not getting a 3-way TITAN SLI setup, you do not need 1000W....really.  Two GTX 970s won't even draw 350W at 100% load.  If you go with the R9 290X in CF you need 750W - 850W.  If you are doing GTX 970/980, you only need a good 650W PSU.

Good airflow, good internal layout, USB 3.0 front panel.  The cheapest I recommend is the Thermaltake Versa.  It is $33 in the USA and hits all the marks.