PC restarting after 970 installation

Yestedary I bought a GTX 970 and installed it. The GPU runs fine until I start playing some Star Citizen or Witcher 3. After 5 minutes, the PC reboots itself.

I monitored temps while playing, CPU stays at 70ºC and GPU at 50. I checked the connectors, everything seems fine. When installing the new GPU did a clean install using DDU and downloading the latest drivers from nvidia. What could it be?

These are the important specs.

i5-2320 3.0GHz

8GB RAM

GTX 970 4GB

Linkworld Silenzio Power 600W

Windows 10130

PD: Right now I'm not home, but will try everything you can tell me in a couple of hours.

That is what happened to me after a few years using my 8800 GT. I felt it was just dying and causing issues, put in a GTX 275 issues went away. I think you need RMA.  It may not be the GPU itself but something power related on the video card. I never saw artifacts or any weird issues EXCEPT my PC would just randomly reboot out of no where. It sucked....

That is what happened to me after a few years using my 8800 GT. I felt it was just dying and causing issues, put in a GTX 275 issues went away. I think you need RMA.  It may not be the GPU itself but something power related on the video card. I never saw artifacts or any weird issues EXCEPT my PC would just randomly reboot out of no where. It sucked....

The GPU performs fine, great fps in star citizen and witcher, can play LoL nonstop... The fact that the pc reboots only in demanding games makes me think it could be the PSU, but don't know how to confirm that, i don't have access to another psu.

The GPU performs fine, great fps in star citizen and witcher, can play LoL nonstop... The fact that the pc reboots only in demanding games makes me think it could be the PSU, but don't know how to confirm that, i don't have access to another psu.

PCs often restart due to cutting power to the PSU, happened to me.

Your PSU looks fishy, might want to get it replaced 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Yestedary I bought a GTX 970 and installed it. The GPU runs fine until I start playing some Star Citizen or Witcher 3. After 5 minutes, the PC reboots itself.

I monitored temps while playing, CPU stays at 70ºC and GPU at 50. I checked the connectors, everything seems fine. When installing the new GPU did a clean install using DDU and downloading the latest drivers from nvidia. What could it be?

These are the important specs.

i5-2320 3.0GHz

8GB RAM

GTX 970 4GB

Linkworld Silenzio Power 600W

Windows 10130

PD: Right now I'm not home, but will try everything you can tell me in a couple of hours.

this is most likely a power supply problem

try a new ..better power supply

if it doesn't solve the problem you can always return it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

PCs often restart due to cutting power to the PSU, happened to me.

Your PSU looks fishy, might want to get it replaced 

Will try with a new PSU, Corsair VS650 650W will be ok?

Srsly.. that's money wasting right there.

Really what you can do is check temps, uhmm.. go to MSI Kombuster or something similar, monitor the temps and usage and report back to us. If it crashes. It's the GPU ..

Really your PSU is more than enough for your PC, which it draws only 370watts on load. Sure the PSU looks fishy, but RMA'ing the gtx 970 will cost you nothing(depends, if the store is next to you) and then if it won't work there. Consider a new PSU...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Yes, that PSU will be fine.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

psu sucks. Never cheap out. I would recommend an EVGA 80+ Gold or a CX600 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Srsly.. that's money wasting right there.

Really what you can do is check temps, uhmm.. go to MSI Kombuster or something similar, monitor the temps and usage and report back to us. If it crashes. It's the GPU ..

Really your PSU is more than enough for your PC, which it draws only 370watts on load. Sure the PSU looks fishy, but RMA'ing the gtx 970 will cost you nothing(depends, if the store is next to you) and then if it won't work there. Consider a new PSU...

As I reported in the first post, the temps are fine, CPU at max 70ºC (we are having this week a 40ºC heat wave in town so i guess it's that). The only thing that gets hot is the HDD, getting to 50ºC (speccy says that is really hot for the hdd)

My HDD and SSD max out at 33 celcius with the fans on, 40 with the fans off 

My HDD and SSD max out at 33 celcius with the fans on, 40 with the fans off 

Could the pc reboot due ot the high HDD temp? It wasn't rebooting with the previous card (960 2gb) though.

Could the pc reboot due ot the high HDD temp? It wasn't rebooting with the previous card (960 2gb) though.

IDK, but computers do shut themselves off due to high temps

Well for me it was indeed the GPU because I swapped it out for the GTX 275 which technically should not have worked since I was only using a 500 watt PSU that didn't even meet the 12 amp ratings of the GTX 275 BUT... it did indeed work for a long time until I built a brand new PC. This was on my duo core 2 rig back in the day. The PC still worked the last time I booted it up and I played a game and everything on it... Torchlight 2 to be exact. LOL.

So It could either be the PSU or the GPU....but the 970 doesn't require THAT much power and that's why I said RMA the card.  If you have any friends maybe they can try out your GPU in their PC as a test.

And my HDDs also run max 34c, some 32c. Only my external one says it's 43c all the time and I have a heatsink on top of it. LOL.

Well for me it was indeed the GPU because I swapped it out for the GTX 275 which technically should not have worked since I was only using a 500 watt PSU that didn't even meet the 12 amp ratings of the GTX 275 BUT... it did indeed work for a long time until I built a brand new PC. This was on my duo core 2 rig back in the day. The PC still worked the last time I booted it up and I played a game and everything on it... Torchlight 2 to be exact. LOL.

So It could either be the PSU or the GPU....but the 970 doesn't require THAT much power and that's why I said RMA the card.  If you have any friends maybe they can try out your GPU in their PC as a test.

And my HDDs also run max 34c, some 32c. Only my external one says it's 43c all the time and I have a heatsink on top of it. LOL.

Will play around with it for a few days and try it on a friend's PC, let's see if I can determine the problem...

I think I found the issue. Tested on Witcher 3, all ok, CPU not going more than 65ºC. Tried Star Citizen. Start platying some "vanduul swarm mode", CPU starts to go over 70ºC and then, reboot at 72ºC. In the WIndows event viewer it appears as Kernel-power.

Time to check the thermal paste and/or look for a nice Hyper 212 Evo.

I think I found the issue. Tested on Witcher 3, all ok, CPU not going more than 65ºC. Tried Star Citizen. Start platying some "vanduul swarm mode", CPU starts to go over 70ºC and then, reboot at 72ºC. In the WIndows event viewer it appears as Kernel-power.

Time to check the thermal paste and/or look for a nice Hyper 212 Evo.

the TJ Max for Haswell is 90 celcius 

the TJ Max for Haswell is 90 celcius 

My CPU is 2nd gen i5. Can I change the max temp from the BIOS?

My CPU is 2nd gen i5. Can I change the max temp from the BIOS?

Dont think so, try and adjust voltage and OC to lover temps 

Dont think so, try and adjust voltage and OC to lover temps 

I will reapply thermal paste and make some tests. Maybe I put too much paste.

I will reapply thermal paste and make some tests. Maybe I put too much paste.

Might be PSU, or replace stock cooler and clean off paste